Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
I'm not talking about representations of gods. Now if you want to say that you're a god tongue in cheek, that's fine with me, but on a very basic Japanese level, I'm just saying that O_ seems to me to literally refer to gods, not people.
Depending on your religious beliefs, there is hardly any difference between a god and a human being. Christians and other monotheists may think otherwise, but for polytheists such as Hindus or Ancient Greeks and Romans, gods live with humans, can procreate with humans, and some people (like Hercules/Herakles) can be half-god, half- 'ordinary' human. For the Japanese, this is even simpler, in case you doubted that they would understand my metaphor. In Shintoism, any human can become a god (at least a "kami" => _ ) after death. Some emperors or famous generals have indeed be elevated as gods with their own shrines. For instance, Hachiman, the god of war, is none else than the deified Emperor Ojin. The Chinese think the same way. Lao Tzu, the philosopher who founded Taoism, became reverred as a god. That is why many Japanese (or Chinese) use the metaphor "he is a god" for exceptional people like baseball stars, sumo wrestlers or F1 drivers.

So, I do believe that many Japanese would understand the connection between O_ and "divine foreigners", because a person can be called a god in their culture.

Personally I am an atheist, so the word god is completely devoid of meaning. I wouldn't mind calling myself or anybody of you "god(s)", for that reason.

Mike, I certainly could find myself "divine". But I could find a table or a grain of rice divine too. It just doesn't have any meaning to the atheist I am. For a Shintoist, it will mean "exceptional person". For an Ancient Greek, it would mean a kind of superpowerful and long-living human residing on the top of the Olympus, but mortal. For a monotheist, it means "above all beings of the creation" and surely also "eternal, omniscient and omnipotent". I therefore deduct from your subjective comment that you are a monotheist (or think like one anyway).