OMG � this thread got so long - I have trouble catching up now!

I知 not trying to disagree with you, Maciamo. Of course, I can understand that it is irritating to have this happen to you. People constantly commenting on these things such as using chopsticks and speaking Japanese, yes, I can imagine it is distinctly wearing when you have gone through it many times. I can also understand that you wonder why people ask these question and why even well-educated and otherwise intelligent people often make strange assumptions based on stereotypes. I am sure I would wonder the same thing, if I was in your place. It is a fair question and it is also a good thing that you and people like you try to challenge such stereotypes and change people's views!

But every country does have its own stereotypes about foreigners, admittedly some less than others. For example, in my experience in the UK I have met quite a lot of 'normal'-seeming and nice people who hold the strangest ideas! I used to go out with a Japanese guy and one of my greatest friends would constantly make what I would think of as 'racist' jokes. It didn't bother me personally, because I knew he was not trying to be offensive; such remarks were based quite simply on ignorance, even though he is quite an intelligent man in many other respects. (Actually I mean ignorance about acceptable behaviour, not necessarily ignorance about the Japanese culture!) So, you get these stupid things in all countries and cultures. And, of course, what Kara Nari said.

From your experiences, though, it would seem that it is more widespread in Japan because of the education system teaching such untruths to children.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
In fact, I was quite bad at learning languages at school, and I have only really started to like foreign languages and started learning by myself from about 17 years old. This contradicts the theory that young children learn more easily languages, as for in my case I found it easier after puberty.
That is very interesting. There is hope for me yet!

Strangely enough, I am also used to people not 'understanding' me. Funny, that...

And is it better to tolerate everything in life, even the clearly negative aspects ? I think modern Western societies are putting too much importance on tolerance. Should we, for instance, tolerate religious or political extremism ?
That is an extremely good point and I agree with you! I am not a very tolerant person, in fact.

I also thought that the kanji would be the hardest part at first, but it ended up being one of the easiest, as I really liked (and still like) learning them. In fact, without the kanji, it would have taken me longer to acquire my current (passive) vocabulary in Japanese, as kanji compounds help guessing the meaning of unknown words, and even creating new ones quite easily.
Yaay! I am looking forward to learning the kanji. I intend to leave it for a little while longer, otherwise I run the risk of overloading my brain with info (I am already losing my memory because of stress ) but in the near future I am certainly going to learn, and this is very encouraging. I'm lucky too in that I assimilate vocab very quickly.

Hey, if I was to go to Japan, I am totally sure there would be times when I would end up asking a really dumb question by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
As far as the "routine of conventions" being susceptible to change is concerned, I agree with you in essence, but I don't think we should hope to see it in our lifetimes. Also, I feel that although we can and do influence this change ever so slightly in our daily interactions, I think that it is wrong for any of us to try to impose our own personal beliefs on another culture as a whole.
Yeah!

Actually - I stray a bit! - there are lots of English people who also share the misconception that Japanese is an incredibly difficult language to learn. If I mention at all that I am learning Japanese, the reaction is usually like 'Wow! So difficult!' OK admittedly I have only a really low level, but so far it's not so difficult. Well, any language becomes more difficult the higher level you go, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Japanese people in general make much less chit chat and unnecessary filler conversation than Americans
I noticed that my ex was one of the very few people I knew who enjoyed to talk around a topic. Of course, English people do, but it is more unusual to find someone who just dives straight into a 'subject' with little or no small talk (in my - admittedly limited - experience they are usually mad types in the pub!). I have no idea whether that is anything to do with being Japanese or whether it is just a personality thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
the heart is the symbol of goodness, and at the same time that god decided that those on his rights were the good/chosen ones, so why if god made us, did he choose to place our heart to the left
That doesn't sound like religious education instruction to me - that sounds more like ridiculous pseudo-religious superstition!

How many times haven't I heared people saying "Nihon ni umarete yokatta" or "I was so lucky to be born in Japan". When I ask why, they typically reply "We have cherry blossoms in Japan" or "We are lucky to be born in a rich and safe country with a good education system". to which I can only scoff.
Maybe it is a little bit of the 'ignorance is bliss', which of course I don't approve of. But on the other hand, rich and safe country, well, I can think of many, many, countries in the world, very poor and highly dangerous countries, where I am extremely glad I do not live. Actually, yes, they ARE lucky to live in Japan - comparatively speaking with the rest of the world.

But that bit about the education system... ewww... the rose coloured glasses...

Although I could say the same thing about England, even though I don't think the education system is good in fact, not compared with an ideal education system that I would like, but when I consider and compare with other countries throughout the world, I think we have enough that I could consider myself lucky.

I am trying to make other people understand what I want them to understand. I told you, I believe in education.
I can understand your frustration. But people will only learn, if their mind is open to learn. For someone whose mind is open, everything is an 'education'! But if their mind is closed, it is like a limpet on a rock in many cases, the more you try to prise it open, the harder it will stick. (I don't know in that case what is the best tactic � like the limpet, a sudden sharp kick maybe? )

Not if your blood boils when you hear one misconception after the other on a daily basis.
I've got some nice little pills you might be interested in�