Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: China's 20 million Muslims

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Interesting you should post this. A couple of days ago I was discussin China and they apparently had officially recognized as the 3 great threats to China being separtism, extremism and, radicalism..... I think that's about right. I don't know what to say about the Chinese way of handling Islam, but it seems as a resctriction of religion, but one thinks about the other asian countries, thailand, and indonesia, and the problems that they are having with islam, well... fundemantalists I mean. So is China handling this phenomenon the right way ? Can't say, but I never imagined there could be so many muslims in china, althought 20 million is nothing really for a country with that great of population.

Quote Originally Posted by Duo
    I think that's about right. I don't know what to say about the Chinese way of handling Islam, but it seems as a resctriction of religion, but one thinks about the other asian countries, thailand, and indonesia, and the problems that they are having with islam, well... fundemantalists I mean. So is China handling this phenomenon the right way ?
    The Chinese handle all religions pretty much the same I think. As long as they acknowledge the suzerainty of the CPC they are allowed. If they think/act too independently or listen to non-Chinese leaders they ask for trouble. The PRC did this long before Islamic fundamentalism became as strong as it is now, but of course they like to put their oppression of eg. the Uighurs in the greater picture of "war against terror": "Look at the problems the rest of the world has. We are acting responsibly."

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    The Chinese handle all religions pretty much the same I think. As long as they acknowledge the suzerainty of the CPC they are allowed. If they think/act too independently or listen to non-Chinese leaders they ask for trouble. The PRC did this long before Islamic fundamentalism became as strong as it is now, but of course they like to put their oppression of eg. the Uighurs in the greater picture of "war against terror": "Look at the problems the rest of the world has. We are acting responsibly."
    I agree. 20 million muslims out of 1.2 billion people are not too much to worry about. As well, I haven't heard much about violent activity from the Chinese muslims at all, anyways. As long as they adhere to the rules, there wont be any crack down. (Think Falun Gong before they became activists) China has more important things on their hands than a small group of Muslims that arn't that active in the country.
    - we must be the change we wish to see in the world - gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by shiningblue
    As well, I haven't heard much about violent activity from the Chinese muslims at all, anyways. As long as they adhere to the rules, there wont be any crack down. (Think Falun Gong before they became activists) China has more important things on their hands than a small group of Muslims that arn't that active in the country.
    Actually, there has been some "terrorist" activity from the Muslim community, if I remember correctly. But that was not religiously motivated, it came from the independence movement. Just like the Chechens, the Chinese Muslims were not very fundamentalist. But due to continued oppression, fundamentalism seems to be growing (not unlike in Chechnya, where the situation of course is much worse).

The FG thing is a nice example of the difference between a perceived threat versus a real threat. Here in the West they would have been looked upon as some other kind of New Age movement, at worst they would have been ridiculed.

The most important thing for the CPC is obviously control. Lack of control seems to be their worst nightmare, hence their crackdown on any "organization" that denies or defies this control.

Why is it always that we find Islam and Terrorism in the same sentence every time this topic is issued?Why can't people understand that terrorism doesn't have a religion!Islam certainly doesn't carry hatred and retardation to the world , it's just different and some people refuse what's different ..that the major mistake today and it should be corrected by getting a closer look to Islam instead of backing it off.The holy Koran is resourceful in this situation and it shows God's call for love and forgiveness in the opposite of what terrorism shows in the name of Islam .

That is a very good point, Kamaru san. The two have been linked together by the media and politicians such as Bush and Blair and I agree that it has done damage to the rest of the Muslims in the world who are now seen by the west as a bunch of bloodthirsty maniacs wishing to destroy the decent Christian way of life. They seem to ignore the fact that the invasion of Iraq by decent Christians has destroyed the happy Muslim way of life for the people in Iraq and beyond. The modern crusaders. Next it'll be the inquistion.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    Now that I come to think of it, it seems the two most invasive religions in the world are now making each other more fundamentalist, possibly some unpsoken, subconcious alliance to turn the world into bigots like their more fundamentalist minorities?.

I have to say honestly, I'm not big on religions who's most strictest law is to bother me until i convert or kill me for heresy.

Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko View Post
    I have to say honestly, I'm not big on religions who's most strictest law is to bother me until i convert or kill me for heresy.
    He's a witch, Burn him! (with apologies to Monty Python)