Quote Originally Posted by Minxie
My own personal experience is that because im mixed w/ 1/2 japanese & 1/2 white... i had a hard time growing up around japanese people. I used to attend a Japanese school every Saturday in the US so i could study my own language and heritage, however, no Japense person accepted me. I didn't understand why until i learned in my history class about this problem of "if you are not 100% japanese, you are not japanese at all".
Yes, but how old were you ? Are children aware of this stigma too ?

You said that Japanese leaving their country are not considered as true Japanese, but the class you took were in the US with other children of Japanese migrants who were not native speakers of Japanese, weren't they ? So if you were discriminated by Japanese who were born in the US speaking English, then maybe the reason is that they were frustrated too not to be "true Japanese", born and raised in Japan.

However, true Japanese in Japan tend to consider Caucasians as more beautiful and some would say racially superior. That is why so many younger Japanese women prefer Western men to Japanese ones, and crave to have a baby that is "half" because they are said to be more beautiful than the pure Japanese. Many "half-Japanese half-Caucasian" become TV stars or models in Japan. Actually it's not just with Caucasians, as one of the most famous TV stars in Japan (and one of the most famous "gaijin") is the magician Cyril (or "Sero" in Japanese), who is half Japanese, half-Moroccan (so Arabic), but born and raised in the US. And I admit that he is very handsome.

...or the Korean comfort women, where Japan went to Korea and brought back many women so that the Japanese men could sleep with them or rape them. Japanese people think they are highly superior to everyone, and therefore they are highly ethnocentric.
Nowadays Japanese men only "rape" Chinese or South-East Asian women in "Soaplands" (brothels) or on sex tours to those countries. But you still have a point. What is more, during WWII, the price of prostitutes depended on their ethnic origin, with Japanese being the most expensive, followed by Koreans, Chinese, then at the bottom of the scale South-East Asian.