Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No. of crimes involving foreigners in 2003 tops 40,000

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ok, after all, your conclusion is:
    Japanese police and their stats are doubtful and we shouldn't take it as truth. Let's talk the truth beyond the crappy stats.
    だったら最初からもっともらしく統計なんか引っ張ってこないで下さいよ。その手のネタだってわかってたら付 き合わなかったのに。

Quote Originally Posted by kara
    Ok, after all, your conclusion is:
    Japanese police and their stats are doubtful and we shouldn't take it as truth. Let's talk the truth beyond the crappy stats.
    Don't misunderstand me. I only said that the crime rate of Japanese is probably higher because lots of people do not report incidents to the police if they can avoid it. Stats for foreigners are probably more reliable. That would be an incredible waste of time, energy and money for the NPA to make all these stats every year if they were crappy.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    I suspect that less Japanese have been arrested compared to the real number of crimes or offences, because, as BlogD said, foreigners (especially those who do not look Japanese) have a higher chance sof being suspected and arrested, even if they aren't condemned because they were not the real culprits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Don't misunderstand me. I only said that the crime rate of Japanese is probably higher because lots of people do not report incidents to the police if they can avoid it. Stats for foreigners are probably more reliable.
    suspect.... probably....
    Where's the stats which confirms these opinions?

Sorry, now I'm a bit 調子に乗ってしまいました。(btw, how do I "say cyoushi ni noru" in English?)
    I never think that Japanese police are more generous for foreigners than for Japanese (and yours must be...), but I also never think that the crime-arrest ratio about foreign criminals and offenders is higher than that of Japanese. And we can find such opinions(or iiwakes, do you remember another topic with me about it?) against the stats, not only the pros for foreigners, but also cons. Intelligent person like you can show more than 20 theories for both sides, if not partial-minded.

But anyway, as someone said above, the point of this thread is mainly to see what kind of crimes foreigners commit in Japan and where these foreigners are from. To denigrate the stats without reliable sources may be not so preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by kara
    suspect.... probably....
    Where's the stats which confirms these opinions?
    This is the interpretation of the stats. I am just saying that the stats might miss some crimes that are unreported to the police. Of course, they cannot be listed in the stats, otherwise there is no point in interpreting !

Sorry, now I'm a bit 調子に乗ってしまいました。
    That's only natural. I also do, when I see signs "beware of foreigners" in Japan and that I am visibly one of them.

(btw, how do I "say cyoushi ni noru" in English?)
    Overreacted ?

I never think that Japanese police are more generous for foreigners than for Japanese (and yours must be...), but I also never think that the crime-arrest ratio about foreign criminals and offenders is higher than that of Japanese.
    I heard stories of teenagers trying to set fire to their school, or people stealing things (in comapnies, schools, organizations...), but that were never reported to the police, because the people in the organization didn't want to make it publicly known to preserve their image. As long as they can find and punish the culprits within the organization or even neighbourhood (especially in snall villages), they won't tell the police because most Japanese dislike having to deal with the police. That is why these crimes or offences are not reported.

However, if people know that an "outsider", especially a foreigner, is responsible for the crime or offence, then they will have no choice but contact the police. One reason is the language. Another is the "fear of foreigners". But the most important is that this foreigner is not part of the "group" and consequently, the can't take care of him/her by themselves. I am mostly talking of minor crimes, not murder, robberies, etc. Anyhow, vicious crimes (悪犯) only account for 0,02% of all crimes.

But anyway, as someone said above, the point of this thread is mainly to see what kind of crimes foreigners commit in Japan and where these foreigners are from. To denigrate the stats without reliable sources may be not so preferable.
    I do not denigrate them. I think the comparison among foreigners is still fair.

>I think the comparison among foreigners is still fair.

So, it may be the time to return to the point of this thread. Now I've nothing to insist on but one thing:
    悪犯--->凶悪犯(kyouaku-han).

では、またどこかのthreadでよろしくお願いします。