Moyashi already posted about this never= zettai -nai, without = -nashi,nuki, -nuita etc.. You don't need to study Japanese to an advanced level to know these or to be able to express the concepts in Japanese.
I didn't really want to argue about that, but these transaltion don't mean "never". zettai means "absolutely", definitely (not)", etc. Just ask some Japanese what's the opposite of "itsumo" (always). They'll rack their brains during a minute or two then tell you that there isn't any. I have asked dozen of people. Usually it's just "shinai", so a simple negative. I never drink alcohol = sake wo nomanai (lit. : I don't drink alcohol). This is fine. When s.o. ask "How often do you go to the cinema ?" and want to answer "never", then your only option is again "ikanai" (I don't go). That's really weird they have words for always (itsumo), usually (taitei), sometimes (tokidoki), rarely (tama ni), but not for "never".

The best translation I have found was "kesshite", which also means "not at all" or "by no means". It's the one that works the best in most cases, but not in all cases however. So, "He never goes to bed before midnight" becomes 彼は決して12時前には床につかない ("kare ha kesshite 12jimaeni tokoni tsukanai").

If you want to say "he is never on time", the "shinai" or "kesshite" structure doesn't work. You're not going to say "he is not on time" (間に合わない), so you can turn it the other way and say "itsumo okureru" (he's always late), but the emphasis isn't the same (sorry I am very fussy).

I know ways of expressing "never", but it sometimes I am really not satisfied. Note that "never" is just one example among hundreds.