hmmm where to start ???

@movies
subtitles have a certain problem that they must solve. Being able to be read at pace that fits with the scene. If you watch a movie (DVD) you can notice the difference even between the spoken Japanese and Japanese subtitles. So, yes, liberties are taken to match a reading pace for viewers.

Many more movies are casting famous Japanese celebrities for voice overs. Yet, still some voices liek Stallon's, Schwartzenger, and Bruce Willis are basically the same voice over person for each of those actors.

Titles, just recently have begun to take on the English sounding katakana. I have trouble with the older movies since they have names that work in Japanese but have no relation to the original title.

@swear words
hmmm, it's pretty tough to do this normally. How many people were as creative as the wonderful British Navy? Not, many that's for sure. True, it's hard to say f_ck but any other nuances work just fine. Not as powerful but work none the less. If nothing else, say it English, you get it out and they pick up that somebody's in deep sh_t. I diffinetly miss the color of those 2 words ... and the word it sucks. You just can't get that to work properly.

Plus, you have to remember that Japanese swearing is not based on sexual origins. It's more of a variation of the pronoun "you". sort of like the idiomatic phrases of "you d_ck head, Are you brain dead, you're an airhead" and such.

@innuendos
hmmm, you just have to think like a Japanese to get those points across. "sou yuu kankei jyanai yo!!!" (not that kind of relationship) ... different but yet similar.

@less phrases or not
hmmm, true at times but I find it opposite most of the time.
[kouyo] -- the autumn leaves that are colored red, orange, and yellow.

1 word in Japanese but a mouthful explanation. Japanese have many 1 word phrases that cover a whole bunch of situations or manner assesment.

Think of it this way. In English you have many different words that related to "potato" but yet not in Japanese. While in Japanese you have a slew of words for "rice" but yet not in Enlgish.

Language is based slightly different that's all.

@purification
I agree with most of the above. Japanese will never be able to restrict to only Japanese. The Internet and US industries of Hollywood and Consumer purchases just out weigh the idea of limiting the use of loan-words. Besides, Koizumi just contradicted himself. In the near future, all English teachers will basically have to pass the TOEIC and/or TOEFL with native ratings or they would be hired.

So the government just doesn't know which head is doing the thinking.

@ I vs [watashi]
The western sense of "I" was introduced during the Meiji Period. Before which, "I" was more like "I your humble servant" or "I who gives care and life to your family" ... so it's not that strange that some words don't work by themselves.

ok enough for now.