You are right Maciamo, it's probably a matter of age, as the war generation in Europe had/has its interpersonal deficiencies as well. Still, I found my grandparents as well as other people in their age group nothing else but caring and sacrificing because of the war-related hardship they had to experience.

All of what has been stated in this thread is so diametrically different from the image we have of Japan in the West. Harmony, politeness and respect for others. Sheesh, just take my wife's company, a Japanese semi-governmental dinosaur, no names given. I've never seen such a concentration of incompetence, ruthlessness, perfidy, exploitation and selfishness. The hierarchies are ridiculous and only depend on seniority. The top brass view the company as personal property and behave like Roman governors (with a similar justification as your wife's grandmother: 'Since we have served our company for 30 years, we are entitled to respect and "benefits"!'). Headquarter tolerates it, because it seems to be the system. So the CEO's wife uses the company CC to shop etc, while at the same time employees' salaries are cut, "because of the economic situtation". Harmony is inexistent, motivation at rockbottom.

I apologise for the strong words, but they really don't give a **** for others! It hurts to see such an attitude.