Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: 1,195,000 die in Japan !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Statistics

It's ridiculous to discuss this problem as if it was somehow unique to Japan. As nurizeko said, most developed nations have a low fertility rate. Here is some hard data from the US Census Bureau's International Data Base (no link, google for it):

TFR (TOTAL FERTILITY RATE) IN 2005
    Belgium: 1.6
    France: 1.8
    Germany: 1.4
    Italy: 1.3
    Japan: 1.4

By the way, TFR is defined as the average number of babies born to women during their reproductive years, and a TFR of 2.1 is usually considered the replacement rate. Admittedly, the value for Japan is low but not exceptionally so by a European standard. Please also note that there is no reason for Belgians to be smug about their fertility rates: they're about average in Europe and far from the replacement rate.

I don't understand calling people 'selfish' just because they choose not to have babies. In my opinion, the selfish people are the ones who have children while lacking the emotional and/or monetary wherewithal to care for them properly.

It's easy to say "we need more kids", but caring for a child is an 18-year-long process - which is why a person needs a better reason than some nebulous duty to clan, country, and (let's face it, some people think like this) race - before deciding to have children.

Also, Earth's resources are not unlimited. Any economic structure that depends on more and more people in order to stay healthy is flawed and will be detrimental to everyone in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowyn View Post
    I don't understand calling people 'selfish' just because they choose not to have babies. In my opinion, the selfish people are the ones who have children while lacking the emotional and/or monetary wherewithal to care for them properly.
    I agree with you 100%. The world is full of selfish people, especially in developing countries. Only a minority of richer and better educated people start to understand that one has to be ready emotionally, financially and b committed to have children. The most selfish of all are those (African, Indian, Chinese peasants ?) who have children to work for them (that's children exploitaton with premeditation) and assure their retirement (why not become king and have slaves work for you ?). It's even worse if they use abortion as a way to get boys, who can work harder, as it makes them immoral and even murderers if they kill the baby after birth.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.