Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Is Japan partly responsible for the Chinese invasion of Tibet ?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Japan's invasion and occupation of China was an obvious model for China' invasion of Tibet

6 17.14%
  • Japan may have had some influence on China's dealing with Tibet

4 11.43%
  • No, there is absolutely no connection

16 45.71%
  • I am shocked at the very assumption in the question !

9 25.71%

Thread: Is Japan partly responsible for the Chinese invasion of Tibet ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931, then Eastern China from 1937. The Japanese claimed that they were liberating China from the Western Imperialists, but in fact plundered the country and massacred civilians. Mao Zedong was already the leader of the Chinese Communist Party when this happened (since 1935), and probably learnt his lessons. From 1949, Mao had full control over China, and in 1950, his People's Liberation Army entered the Tibet to "liberate them from the tyranny of the Dalai-Lama and protect Tibet from Western Imperialists", but they plundered the country and massacred civilians. The message was the same, the actions were the same. So, did the Japanese invasion of China influenced Communist China in its dealings with Tibet ?
    I believe so. Naturally, humans have always influenced each others throughout history. Japan's colonialism was influenced by Western colonialism. Mao and his early Communist followers were influenced by the Soviets, themselves influenced by Marx and Engels' writings, etc. The world is only the result of unlimited influences. But from where did the Chinese under Mao get their influence in the way they treated Tibet if not from their Eastern neighbours, the Japanese ?
    I wish to tell you that His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama is a Canadian Citizen, and as such sworn allegance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. And I regard him as a Canadian!!

Quote Originally Posted by bexchurnside View Post
    I wish to tell you that His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama is a Canadian Citizen, and as such sworn allegance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. And I regard him as a Canadian!!
    OK, so what ?

Little rectification, he is an honorary citizen of Canada, the same way that Robert De Niro is an honorary citizen of Italy but is first and foremost American. The Dalai Lama's main country of residence is India.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

So, did the Japanese invasion of China influenced Communist China in its dealings with Tibet ?
    I dony know...
    However,
    according to chinese history, Whenever the political powers or dynasty changed in China, the massacres were done.
    It might be responsible in Japan that he obtained the political power bacause japan lost....
    USA also helped Mao......
    MAo said " have talked to my Japanese friends. They said, 'We are sorry, the Imperial Japanese army invaded China.' I told them, 'No! If your Imperial army did not occupy half of China, the people of China would not have united against you, and the Chinese Communist Party will not be in power today"
    The slaughter in Tibet is still continued today.
    Did we emphasize and criticize china while you criticize japan?
    You and I are responsible of that, too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    OK, so what ?
    Little rectification, he is an honorary citizen of Canada, the same way that Robert De Niro is an honorary citizen of Italy but is first and foremost American. The Dalai Lama's main country of residence is India.
    So does Dalai Lama not have the right to exercise his rights to live in Vancouver, BC and live at the Dalai Lama Center for World Peace, if situations become rough for him in India?

Now, Maciamo, I want to ask you Is Gelugpa Madhyamika really Prasangika Madhyamika, and not Svantantrika? It is a wonderful arguement by Alexander Berzin on Berzin Archives.

How do the Japanese view the laity receiving the Abhisheka of the Mahavairocana Mandala in Japan by His Holiness Dalai Lama? I heard that the Shingon sect keeps Vajrayana intiations only to the clergy.

I am wondering also why is it that Tibetan Buddhism gained more prominence in Europe and North America than it has in Japan? Taiwan and even communist China, who the latter should be having the least, became more deeply rooted in Vajrayana practices?

Quote Originally Posted by caster51 View Post
    I dony know...
    However,
    according to chinese history, Whenever the political powers or dynasty changed in China, the massacres were done.
    It might be responsible in Japan that he obtained the political power bacause japan lost....
    USA also helped Mao......
    MAo said " have talked to my Japanese friends. They said, 'We are sorry, the Imperial Japanese army invaded China.' I told them, 'No! If your Imperial army did not occupy half of China, the people of China would not have united against you, and the Chinese Communist Party will not be in power today"
    The slaughter in Tibet is still continued today.
    Did we emphasize and criticize china while you criticize japan?
    You and I are responsible of that, too.

Wow, I am somewhat knowledgable of Tibetan Buddhism myself, but I had no idea, and neither does the world ever think that Japan and issues around Tibetan Buddhism have anything to do with each other!

I think if you are right, a doctoral thesis could be done on such a topic! Please tell me more about this. Feel free to tell me via PM if you don't want to open an unnecessary can of worms on this forum.
    Last edited by bexchurnside; Dec 6, 2006 at 09:53. Reason: Automerged Doublepost