Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways View Post
Sorry Mike, maybe you just got used to it (the garbage I mean)! I guess you missed the Oze garbage debacle recently in the news.
I don't watch the news. I don't need to see the news to know that Gunma, while it has illegal dumping spots like any other place, is not a vast dumping ground. I live here.

No, I am generally saying that compared to other cities I have visited, Japanese cities are relatively clean. Of course I have visited the harbor, with the 'black' sand tanning beaches (worth it for some of the Japanese cuties wearing bikinis).
I wasn't talking about the beaches. I was talking about all the roadside trash down at the docks.

Good points on bringing up Hokkaido, but that is a relatively small area as a part of the total of Japan (1 of 47 prefectures, and certainly no Alaska). I know of an area in Hokkaido where some missionaries lived; the roads were listed as impassable in the winter, hence I didn't go there when I visited in Jan. of 1995 (before I came to live in Japan).
One doesn't have to go to Hokkaido to find places where no man has ever set foot. Nagano will do nicely.