Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Do you find the claim that the Japanese like/love nature more than others justified ?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they care much more about nature, animals and the environment than the rest of the world

2 7.69%
  • They care a lot by international standards, but less than the Western average

2 7.69%
  • Why would they care more than others ?

10 38.46%
  • They care a lot about seasons and cherry blossoms but kill whales and destroy their environment

6 23.08%
  • No, the Japanese care less about the environment and animals protection than average

2 7.69%
  • I think it is impossible to compare because there is no national trend anywhere

4 15.38%

Thread: Do the Japanese really love nature more than all other people ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    Kerr's claim is not that all rivers have concrete banks on all their length, but at least at one point or another (even a few hundred metres). At the time he wrote the book, there was only one river in Japan that didn't have concrete anywhere from the beginning to the end (in Shikoku, if I remember well).
    This is not what you were originally argueing! Nice to see you backtrack at times, but never admit that you could be wrong.
    Next trip I make to mainland I will take some pictures for you to prove my stance.
    As a matter of fact, if you get there before me, go visit my friends...I'm sure that they will show you what real rivers look like outside of the cities:
    http://www.kappa-club.com/
    Last edited by DoctorP; Nov 13, 2006 at 22:47. Reason: added link

Maciamo, I have to say that your have made serious offence to Japanese people under a reasonable title, yea I dont think japanese had shown or do show so significantly more care to nature than other western countires. But when yu pick on linguistic differences to crudely argue for the lack of care of japanese people that in your opinion laying betrayed in light of lacking diversity in verbal interpretations. modern western languages undoubtfully are developed from greek, latin, and various tribal dialects that have been used by ancient European minorities, (I am not a expert on this so let me just mention it as a superfacially as a simple truth can be tell by an ordinary language speaker) you can see how many words english,french, spanish, german share no matter which is the original, so they are evolved from a very long multicultural confluence but Japanese language didnt enjoy cosmopolitan interchanges and influence from other cultures than Chinese untill near modernity. so It is clear you have made a unfair argue by chosing an historically advantaged stance. and however you remind your superfacially reasonable title of your topic, you are prejudiced and offensive in your following posts. Generally European languages are more culturally multifaceted, so English not only shows how you english people feel about thing but also records how others feels about the same things. So the powerful english does not speak for that english speakers care more powefully about things than others do.

Onthe other hand, a language having more alternative words for whatever, or clearer classifications for whatever, it only shows in literary attitude or scientific attitude of people to the objects, and it does only show higher education but not higher moral awareness or conscience.

I think the state of Japanese 'nature' would be far worse if they were forced to break their over-reliance on foreign meat and dairy. Currently Japan has an overwhelming appetite for meat, fish and dairy products (as well as having the highest tier-stacking levels of battery hens, currently at 18), also with no specific animal laws. If they were forced to keep up the same rate of meat and dairy consumption, they would have considerable problems.

I personally don't think that the country as a whole has much respect or knowledge of other species...perhaps I'm wrong, but that's the impression I get.

I hear the words something like Mega Mac/teriyaki, food fighters or whatever.
    Seeing a statistics on obesity, there are much time to catch up with the trend in other countries.
    http://www.oecdobserver.org/images//1045.photo.jpg

About the sea food consumption, it must be the worldwide trend, but Japanese should realise that it is strange that we can eat 100 yen sushi.

I am really concerned about increase of eco-friendly farmers in the US or China.
    They prefer corn to soy bean for bio fuel. "No corn for cars, more soy bean for people", I will defintely join the demonstration in the near future.

The thread title made me laugh out loud!

I have seen more litter in this country then anywhere I have ever been. I like Japan but this thread is ridiculous. Garbage everywhere and the bears are extinct in some prefs. Does the O.P. even live here? It does not sound like it?