Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Is this true?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pharaoh21 View Post
    What do you mean by values and behavioural norms? Which part of China are you referring to?
    Every countries have their own violent history in the past. Only after WW 2 when humans start to think that wars and violence are not good. Besides, you don't even know much of China's history, this means right from the ancient times.
    In response to the point of this thread, I was referring to Chinese mass execution rallies (filling sports stadiums, public squares etc to witness and cheer on execution style killings). I understand some spectators are forced to attend but from the brief footage I've seen it was shocking how many genuinely appeared to be enjoying themselves-- more visibly than I could imagine clapping or yelling their support for the barbarism in modern, civilized societies like the US and Japan. Of course I'm not saying Chinese are violence prone as a general statement, it was simply an observation from my brief exposure. Perhaps I should have been more circumscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post

I was referring to Chinese mass execution rallies (filling sports stadiums, public squares etc to witness and cheer on execution style killings). I understand some spectators are forced to attend but from the brief footage I've seen.

I think you're referring to newsreel clips on China's upheaval years during Cultural Revolution,I've seen same footage as well in some American TV news history flashbacks and programs.

I typically have no interest in discussing PRC and CCP.

Quote Originally Posted by ricecake View Post
    I think you're referring to newsreel clips on China's upheaval years during Cultural Revolution,I've seen same footage as well in some American TV news history flashbacks and programs.
    I typically have no interest in discussing PRC and CCP.
    This was a very reputable news broadcast on current economic and social trends with the reporter as disbelieving as his audience. It most definately wasn't the Cultural Revolution although I've heard that a very recent trend is for large-scale public spectacle executions to become less prominent as they are not as economical as lethal injections, especially administered onsite in a mobile van unit type set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
    In response to the point of this thread, I was referring to Chinese mass execution rallies (filling sports stadiums, public squares etc to witness and cheer on execution style killings). I understand some spectators are forced to attend but from the brief footage I've seen it was shocking how many genuinely appeared to be enjoying themselves-- more visibly than I could imagine clapping or yelling their support for the barbarism in modern, civilized societies like the US and Japan. Of course I'm not saying Chinese are violence prone as a general statement, it was simply an observation from my brief exposure. Perhaps I should have been more circumscribed.
    Ok, let's clear the misunderstandings then. So when did you see the footage? How old was the footage? I like to see it myself also.