Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Mandarin vs Spanish, which should I learn???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You have to ask yourself, Why am I learning this language? I don't know if I would learn Mandarin on a lark, but if you are interested in international finance in the future, it's said to be a very good language to learn.

I'm learning Japanese because it helps me interact with Japanese people better, even in situations where we both share knowlege of English... in order to better understand the subcultures and writings... sometimes I feel that I may not put any of this knowledge to practical use, but learning a foreign language can be rewarding in and of itself.

Ask yourself, What language would I most enjoy learning? Right now it seems like you are standing before a dartboard full of languages and picking one at random.
    (flickr: pgh, japan & korea, santa cruz ) (blog: eyesonthewires) (j-rock)

Our greatest pretenses are built up not to hide the evil and the ugly in us, but our emptiness. The hardest thing to hide is something that is not there.
    -Eric Hoffer.

Quote Originally Posted by yukio_michael View Post
    You have to ask yourself, Why am I learning this language? I don't know if I would learn Mandarin on a lark, but if you are interested in international finance in the future, it's said to be a very good language to learn.
    I'm learning Japanese because it helps me interact with Japanese people better, even in situations where we both share knowlege of English... in order to better understand the subcultures and writings... sometimes I feel that I may not put any of this knowledge to practical use, but learning a foreign language can be rewarding in and of itself.
    Ask yourself, What language would I most enjoy learning? Right now it seems like you are standing before a dartboard full of languages and picking one at random.
    Couldn't have said it better. Totally agree.

My opinion: If you are neutral about this, try Chinese, this is, if you like it. Spanish is very complicated with all the verb forms(past, past participle and female/male articles). If I wouldn't be a native speaker, I doubt I would have any interest in learning it.
    I, in my own personal opinion, like Chinese better. I am studying and it is entertaining. It doesn't have many articles and it is just like saying subject/verb/object without having to say it in singular and plural form. However, I must say that you must also learn all the characters in order to read, you know, like in Japanese.

Mauricio