Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Gaijin, but with what kanji ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I was thinking making some of the JREF tshirts with some of the above kanji. It would read :

Gaijin ? What do you mean ?

ŠO_ ? (divine foreigner)
    ŠOm ? (virtous outsider)
    ŠQl ? (harmful person)
    ŠXl ? (town resident)
    ŠZ’C ? (armoured dragon)

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    "ŠO‘l"

Last edited by Maciamo; Oct 21, 2005 at 23:35. Reason: tags

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroyuki Nagashima
    "ŠO‘l"
    It was intended as a joke.

It was intended as a joke.
    'Oh, sorry I meant "Gaikokujin", not Gaijin' I think was Nagashima's attempt at compromise language.

Non-Member
    Sorry if this is anal, but wouldn't ŠO_ be an outside or foreign god, and not a divine foreigner? I mean, the only reason ŠOl means foreigners (as in people) is because of the second kanji, am I wrong?

ŠOl is basically@‚ζ‚»‚̐l
    Is not ŠO_ basically ‚ζ‚»‚̐_?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan
    Sorry if this is anal, but wouldn't ŠO_ be an outside or foreign god, and not a divine foreigner? I mean, the only reason ŠOl means foreigners (as in people) is because of the second kanji, am I wrong?
    There hardly any difference between "outside god" and "divine foreigner".

First of all, there is hardly difference between 'outside' and 'foreign', as "foreign" comes from Latin "foras", which means "outside". My Oxford Dictionary also gives for defnition of foreign : "coming or introduced from outside".

Then, a "divine person" or "godly person" could basically be considered as a god. The most common way of representing god(s) in any religion is the human form. So we could say that the word "god" generally includes the meaning of "person". Therefore : a foreign/outside god = a foreign/ouside divine person = a divine foreign person = divine foreigner.

Sorry if that was too mathematical. foreign foreign

I wouldn't worry too much about the strictness of the meaning of kanji compound. It is in the nature of kanji not to distinguish between gender (male/female), number (singular/plural), function (subject/object) and word class (noun/adjective/adverb/verb). So, a kanji like _ can mean 'god' (masc.sing.), 'gods' (masc. pl.), 'goddess' (fem.sing.), 'goddesses' (fem.pl.), while γ can mean 'up' (adv.), 'above' (prep./adv.), 'rise/raise' (verb), 'top' (noun/adj.). The compound γ_ can thus mean "rising god", "god from above", "top god", or any alternative with gods, goddess, and goddesses. As for the function, it gets interesting with kanji that have several meaning. For instance, ’… means both "wear" (noun/verb) or 'cloth', but also "arrive" or "arrival". So γ’… could theoretically mean 'top wear','raised cloth', 'rising cloth' (whatever that means), 'arrive at the top', 'top arrival(s)', 'rise in arrivals', etc.

Non-Member
    There hardly any difference between "outside god" and "divine foreigner".
    This is what I disagree with, but I'll get back to this.

First of all, there is hardly difference between 'outside' and 'foreign', as "foreign" comes from Latin "foras", which means "outside". My Oxford Dictionary also gives for defnition of foreign : "coming or introduced from outside".
    I couldn't agree more. I meant "or" in the inclusive sense.

Then, a "divine person" or "godly person" could basically be considered as a god. The most common way of representing god(s) in any religion is the human form. So we could say that the word "god" generally includes the meaning of "person". Therefore : a foreign/outside god = a foreign/ouside divine person = a divine foreign person = divine foreigner.
    You're missing my point. I'm saying that a person is a person, and a god is a god on a very basic level. So that a ŠOl refers to a person, whereas ŠO_ refers to a god.

I'm not talking about representations of gods. Now if you want to say that you're a god tongue in cheek, that's fine with me, but on a very basic Japanese level, I'm just saying that ŠO_ seems to me to literally refer to gods, not people.

Any metaphors you like to make notwithstanding, I think very few Japanese people would ever make the connection to "divine foreigner".

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, really!