Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: What Japanese family names do you find cool ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I noticed that many people have replied that they like one name because it is the name of people they know (and like). I think this typically happens when people have to choose a given name for their baby. It doesn't just happen with people which one knows personally, but maybe even more with celebrities, historical or mythical figures. It's amazing how Biblical (i.e. originally Jewish) names have become common in Western countries once the Roman Empire got Christianised. Ever since the Middle Ages, names like John, Mary, Peter, James, Paul, etc. have been used massively by people of all classes from royalty to peasants, in all European languages.

Funny (but natural) that people should react the same way for family names.

But personally I react differently. I rarely ever think of people I know when I think whether I like a name or not, because:

1) I have known different people who share the same first name which I eithe like and dislike very much.

2) People who share my (given or family) name are completely different from me.

3) Being a history buff, I can think of dozens of extremely different people for some given names, which effectively neutralises any feeling I may associate with that name (and all names as a result).

So, when I say that I like this or that name, I base it on purely esthetic (or phonetic) criteria, or on the meaning of the name. That7s why I have long had a liking for unusual (Western) given names, and don't mind creating new names to match my tastes. That is one think I like with Internet nicknames, as we can choose a new name which is neither inherited by law, nor decided by our parents. I think that in future societies, people should be able to decide (maybe once and for all) what their name should be. One thing I like about British and US legislation is that they give that choice to people, while in most other countries in the world, it is extremely difficult to change one's name, takes a long time and costs a lot of money.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

I happen to like the name Yamaguchi, cause it seems so common and it was the first japanese name I ever read. I can't really say that the reason why I like the name Yamaguchi is because I know people with that name. I also like the name Fumie, even it's not a last name.
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan Flashjeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    I happen to like the name Yamaguchi, cause it seems so common and it was the first japanese name I ever read. I can't really say that the reason why I like the name Yamaguchi is because I know people with that name. I also like the name Fumie, even it's not a last name.
    Ma Cherie: I don't know how old you are, or even if you've ever heard of her, but perhaps the most famous person named Yamaguchi is her:

Say hello to Momoe Yamaguchi, one of the most legendary J-Pop idols from the 1970's. She was a superstar singer and actress who was incredibly popular back in the day. She retired at the peak of her career to marry a co-star from one of her movies in 1980 and never looked back as she's now a devoted mother to two sons who's perfectly content to be a wife and parent and has rebuffed all requests to make a comeback. Just thought you'd be interested.

"It's better to try and fail than to never try at all."
    -Jeffrey C. Branch, crackpot philosopher

Interested in old school J-Pop? Please visit my website:
    Pink Lady: The Website!

Many thanks to Ayu-youkou for this mondo cool banner!

a non member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie

mmm when i think of yamaguchi i think of course about the yakusa...

i like my wife's familie name: TERAO

Quote Originally Posted by dutch baka
    i like my wife's familie name: TERAO
    Pretty rare name. Is it written ?

Non-Member
    My favorite surname would have to be @(Osa).

Japanese American Hapa Matthew Ota's Avatar

Japanese Family Name

I like mine (Ota) because it is ancient and uses basic kanji characters

I like Toshikiyo (歳清) .. yeah.. haha.. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukimiya
    I like Toshikiyo (ΐ) .. yeah.. haha.. xD
    Wouldn't that be a given name ?

kamizono
    name of the first girl ever to dis me completely for forever
    made me smarter though (i hope )
    fond memories...
    ttp://www.tcvb.or.jp/

Heart matSUSHIma

@ KINSAO :
    ==> me too ... Matsushima is my favorite touristic site to Japan.
    To bad I can't insert any MatSUSHIma pix in that message. I took a lot of Photos : Matsushima's hanabi with party on grass near the sea, the boat with dragon bow ...
    @ FLASHJEFF :
    how do you do to insert your pictures??
    MatSUSHIma is a very nice name, with SUSHI , wouaw ==> Totemo oishiiiiii ... quick to kaiten Zuchi...

my favorite Japanese surname ==> OIKAWA
    @ GHOSTPAINTER :
    what do you think about the sound we make, when we say that name??

I don't like very much the first name ==> Chiho.

Cheerio.
    Last edited by yuuto; Sep 15, 2005 at 18:44.
    “It's better to regret something you did than to regret something you didn't do.”

Pink Lady's Number #1 Fan Flashjeff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yuuto
    @ FLASHJEFF :
    how do you do to insert your pictures??
    It's the same as for inserting quotes:
    [img]your url[/img]

Easy as pie!

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    One thing I like about British and US legislation is that they give that choice to people, while in most other countries in the world, it is extremely difficult to change one's name, takes a long time and costs a lot of money.
    It is very easy to change your name in the UK. You just fill a form in and pay GBP30. When my friend got divorced and became a Christian she changed her name as a symbol of her new life. A lot of people thought it was strange and unnecessary, but I think names can say a lot about people, and I think Grace changed for the better when she changed her name. I'm lucky that I like the name my parents gave me. I never liked my maiden name because I got picked on, but I like my married name as it has a 'y' on the end and I can do a funky loop in my signature!

Japanese names I like are Kitano and Kaneshiro for surnames because I like the actors with those names, and forenames I like are Takeshi, Tetsuya and Akira for boys (they just sound nice) and Hoshi, Akiko, Hanako and Sakura, both for the meanings and how they sound. If I have a daughter I might call her Hanako, I like it, and my nan was called Hannah, which is too common. Mind you, I haven't heard a Japanese name I don't like. They all sound beautiful to me.
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life
    merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

Currently playing: Agarest on PS3
    Currently reading: The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley

01-666 his.number.is.666 Daleth's Avatar
    I like...

Hideto, Kira, Soube, Niimura, Satsuki, Yamashita, Yasumari... and muuch others.

Unhealthy
    Koshikawa

and

Kurata

^-^

neko9
    Takahashi, Ito, Sato, Watanabe, Kobayashi, Nakamura, Tanaka, Inoue, Maeda, Matsuo, Nakajima is cool...
    and Aburakoji, Higa, Anenokoji, Kujo, Jimyoin, Askikaga, Nanba, Kaoin, Abe, Reizei, Kudo, Rokujochigusa is not...