Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Japan's bad half : the puerile, the irresponsible, the perverted, and the handicapped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    But is she any different genetically from the other Japanese, if, as you imply, it is a genetical problem ?
    Actually, AFAIK lactose intolerance is quite common all over the world, but most common in mongoloids. The amount of milk or dairy products you can consume varies, though. Most of my Chinese friends have no problems as long as they keep the consumption on a low level. Some of them have initial problems finding that level when they 1st come to Europe, though. (Which can lead to lengthy toilet sessions.)

Here is a quite good explanation of lactose intolerance.

Quotes:
    "Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest significant amounts of lactose, the predominant sugar of milk. This inability results from a shortage of the enzyme lactase, which is normally produced by the cells that line the small intestine. Lactase breaks down milk sugar into simpler forms that can then be absorbed into the bloodstream.
    [...]
    Certain ethnic and racial populations are more widely affected than others. As many as 75 percent of all African Americans and American Indians and 90 percent of Asian Americans are lactose intolerant. The condition is least common among persons of northern European descent.
    Researchers have identified a genetic variation associated with lactose intolerance; this discovery may be useful in developing a diagnostic test to identify people with this condition.
    [...]
    Most older children and adults need not avoid lactose completely, but people differ in the amounts and types of foods they can handle. For example, one person may have symptoms after drinking a small glass of milk, while another can drink one glass but not two. Others may be able to manage ice cream and aged cheeses, such as cheddar and Swiss, but not other dairy products.
    [...]
    People who have trouble digesting lactose can learn which dairy products and other foods they can eat without discomfort and which ones they should avoid. Many will be able to enjoy milk, ice cream, and other such products if they take them in small amounts or eat other food at the same time. Others can use lactase liquid or tablets to help digest the lactose. Even older women at risk for osteoporosis and growing children who must avoid milk and foods made with milk can meet most of their special dietary needs by eating greens, fish, and other calcium-rich foods that are free of lactose."

You SPAM/We BAN !

You Should Visit Portland, Maine !!

Our city has the best programs to help the "needy" of all types for most of New England. We have many cases of Judges (in other cities & states) giving "strange" people bus tickets to get to Portland so they can be helped.
    SOOO, now we have not only many different cultures coming to Portland to live , but also many many VERY interesting people; kinda like having a 24 hour circus to watch where ever you go in town. Keeps our local police very active. I guess you can say it's "our tax dollars at work" ?

Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!
    I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar

One thing in Japan that annoys me to no end:

the lack of privacy.

Example:

I'm sitting at my desk in the teacher's room at school, writing something on my computer. Students wander right up to my desk, stick their nose in front of me, point at the computer screen, and blurt stupid things like, "What this? Is it English? Ha ha, I don't know English!"

I used to think this was just because they're young students who don't know how to behave around foreigners yet. So I cut them alot of slack, even taking time to explain things and be polite when I'm very busy.

BUT,

I was wrong. Again, one day I'm writing as usual, the principal is looking over my shoulder. He then proceeds to stick his nose in front of me, without ever asking me if I was busy or if it's ok if he can read it. Then he acts surprised that I'm writing in English. "Eeeeeeeeeeh? Eigo da!"

Me: "Yes, it's English. I'm writing today's lesson plan."*
    Principal: (Speaking to everyone in the vicinity.) "It's English! Ha Ha, I can't understand English at all."*

(Tries to read outloud what I'm writing, fails.)

Principal: "Ha ha, English is difficult."*

*In Japanese.

All my principals do this. Whatever I'm doing at my desk, they love to come up to me, examine and play with whatever I'm doing without asking permission or even being polite about it. They seem to think that whatever I'm doing is incredibly funny, and that everyone in the room should know what I'm doing.

Cultural differences rears its ugly head again.

Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot
    the lack of privacy.
    Me: "Yes, it's English. I'm writing today's lesson plan."*
    Principal: (Speaking to everyone in the vicinity.) "It's English! Ha Ha, I can't understand English at all."*

(Tries to read outloud what I'm writing, fails.)

Principal: "Ha ha, English is difficult."*
    Yes. This has happened to many many times too. Not just at the computer but when I wa reading books or documents, sometime in public spaces.

Worst of all, my "step-father-in-law" once came behind me when I was writing a mail to my family in French. He reacted the same way "ah, what language is that"
    Me : French"
    Him : "ahh, I can't read French, aahhahah"
    then he asked me "Oh can you write in French, sugoi desu ne !".
    I was stunned and thought "What, it's one year I am married to your don't your step-daughter and you still don't know my my mother-tongue is French !"

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Yes. This has happened to many many times too. Not just at the computer but when I wa reading books or documents, sometime in public spaces.

Worst of all, my "step-father-in-law" once came behind me when I was writing a mail to my family in French. He reacted the same way "ah, what language is that"
    Me : French"
    Him : "ahh, I can't read French, aahhahah"
    then he asked me "Oh can you write in French, sugoi desu ne !".
    I was stunned and thought "What, it's one year I am married to your don't your step-daughter and you still don't know my my mother-tongue is French !"
    Yeah, it happens a lot this way...they either don't hear very well or take a person's whole situation (only the surface behavior) into account. Like arriving last month into Narita, the first thing after calling the friends I'd be staying with I mentioned being tired (after a 12 hour flight, imagine such at thing ! ). A while after getting to their apartment I mentioned it again. This time he was surprised "Oh, really....you're tired ??" Naturally I was equally startled.

I could just a cultural difference in how privacy or personal space is respected and nothing to take personally But what would have been intuitive to most American families (You must be exhausted....can I do anything to help ? no need to stay up talking when you could be in bed....etc) seems for some reason not to be so much there.

Yuyurungul
    thanks, maciamo! I really always enjoy reading your comments on Japanese society. The "onaka suki" part in particular made me laugh.

I guess I've always been interested in #'s 2, 3, and 4 on your list. Have there been any sociological/psychological studies that cover these topics (preferably from a periodical/journal, although I suppose it'd be hard to talk about #4 in more diplomatic ways...)? I'm interested in how and what factors influence these behaviors in the first place, aside from just saying cultural differences.