Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Spoof News: China Plans to Phase Out Chinese Characters ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    it is 'spoof news', but it is true that there are proposals to place Chinese characters with latin alphabet, and it is very dangerous for the culture
    Nope, the culture is not endangered by changing the writing system.
    Culture is evolving continually, anyway, whether the writing system changes, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by bossel
    Nope, the culture is not endangered by changing the writing system.
    Culture is evolving continually, anyway, whether the writing system changes, or not.
    chinese characters have very important values in the culture, and there is so much history behind it, i don't like simplified chinese either, they said it helps the people to learn the language quicker, apparently that doesn't help at all, as China has millions of illiterate people. if they want everyone in the country to be able to read and write chinese, they should do it by putting people in school, not by changing the writing system.
    the chinese government has already destroyed many historical buildings, they are westernizing the country, as a chinese person i really hate that to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Time
    chinese characters have very important values in the culture, and there is so much history behind it, i don't like simplified chinese either, they said it helps the people to learn the language quicker, apparently that doesn't help at all, as China has millions of illiterate people. if they want everyone in the country to be able to read and write chinese, they should do it by putting people in school, not by changing the writing system.
    the chinese government has already destroyed many historical buildings, they are westernizing the country, as a chinese person i really hate that to happen
    for the historical buildings, they are deconstructed, because they are not longer productive/functional. that's my assumption, especially here in ireland, our econonomy is suffering from maintenancing such buildings. they are not economic, to heat/in terms of area usage and so on. just 30 percent higher costs, but this makes a deciding difference. and, they are unconfortable as well, leaking roofs and all these things.
    "i observe our economy additionally suffers from high maintenance costs"

for the writing system, it is carricature, if people write japanese(in roman letters), first letter "Big", and even applying their grammar rules to it. probably japanese is the simpliest of the asian languages, and soon, all the countries are going to agree to it. most of it is indeed traditional chinese. and, it includes a lot english words, the roman spelling is emulated.
    "it seems like carricature to me right now" is more correct

sorry, most of us western people can not derive anymore, what the letters are symbolizing. in school, i can remember, we made up ill-fashioned identities, for example "F"=fish and so on. this causes all the stupidity we have now, it allows to use words, without understanding them.
    "personally, i have difficulties to derive what the letters are symbolizing"

indeed, the wallpaper of english is thinner than i assume sometimes. i wonder, that people are understanding each other.
    "it appears thin to me sometimes"

greetings from orwell, short-speak, double-think and so on.

chinese is called "language of the living symbols", as far as i can remember.
    i remember, i have read "language of the living symbols" attached to chinese language.

roman letters utilize a system of 600000 words, to establish abstract identities. this is very useful, i.e. for computer programming. indeed, for human communication, i would prefer chinese/japanese.
    "it appears useful to me, as i am a programmer"

i already dropped "everybody" "no-one" "must" "can not" "have to". now, i even try to minimze "is" and "be". of course, i do not use "will" anymore. because, we do not know tomorrow. we can only make assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by alexriversan

sorry, most of us western people can not derive anymore, what the letters are symbolizing. in school, i can remember, we made up ill-fashioned identities, for example "F"=fish and so on. this causes all the stupidity we have now, it allows to use words, without understanding them.
    "personally, i have difficulties to derive what the letters are symbolizing"

the point of relating a letter with a word is to help children see connections in the english language. it is not used to create "identities". the roman alphabet is not a system of pictures and it doesnt need to identify each character with something. if you want to understand words and find out where they derive from why dont you read a dictionary. you said "its allows us to use words without understanding them" most western people have english as their frist language and when CHILDREN begin learning their native language they associates words with thoughts and pictures, why? because they are children when they learn and cannot read. im sorry alex but your post was the dumbest thing i have read in a while.
    ooo~