Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
This brings up some questions for me. First, if they're bringing it up out of context I would assume that it's someone that you're meeting for the first time and they are just using it as an ice breaker, or something to keep the conversation going to avoid awkward silence. Am I right? It seems to me that the key here is "out of context."
No, no. I can't remember anyone using as an icebreaker or to break an awkward silence. It usually comes well in the middle of a conversation, and not usually at the first meeting (sometimes after I have met the person over 10 or 30 times, but sooner or later this question comes for 80% of the people I have met). I know it may sound unbelievable if you haven't stayed in Japan for some time (a few years) and met lots of people there. But that's how it is.

How would you explain that even my wife or her family complimented me on my chopstick skills ? It's definitely not an icebreaker, it's not because they don't know me, it's also not for reasons #2 and #3. In that case I know it's because of reason #1 (they have trouble using chopsticks themselves). But I can't believe that 80% or so of the Japanese have problems using chopsticks, although they grew up with it, like Westerners grew up using a fork and knife. I have never felt it was more difficult to use chopsticks. In fact, I sometimes refuse to eat some dishes with a fork/knive/spoon instead of chopsticks. It really depends on the dish itself (can't eat sushi or ramen with a fork, can you ?)