Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: For our Japanese readers : Things you should not say to Westerners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very interesting read. These seem like the main werid oddities of things that japanese people say to westerners when they are in Japan from what i've read... i have also been asked about half of these by Japanese, and I haven't been outside of North America yet... -_-

One other thing... not sure if its really to be noted to the list, but I hate being called and reffered to as a "gaijin" by the japanese here in Colorado. I was born here and I'm caucasian for crying out loud... i guess all japanese call non-japanese "gaijin" regardless of where they are.

I would like to see a list of "Things you should not say to Japanese" list for western people in their own countries. Since the things on this list seem so obvious to us, there surely must be some bad things that we westerners say or do without noticing to japanese or foreigners in general who visit western countries.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroyon
    I hate being called and reffered to as a "gaijin" by the japanese here in Colorado. I was born here and I'm caucasian for crying out loud... i guess all japanese call non-japanese "gaijin" regardless of where they are.
    When Japanese say gaijin they don't really mean the word "foreigner" in English. There's a subtle difference there. Gaijin might be better interpreted as "not my race people". Sorry I can't really find a suitable English word for it but in most asian countries, the term gaijin doesn't necessary mean foreign country people.

Yes, it happened to me that I went to a karaoke place, sang songs in English, of course, because you don't have much choice. One of them was especially fast in one part, so I messed it up a bit, and the comment I received from a person who knew me was 'Oh, it's in English, how come you can't sing it right!', knowing English is not my native tounge.
    Sometimes they just assume, even if they know you and where you are from, that you have to be absolutely flawless in English.
    Oh, and once also I was told that I was not a lady because of the way I ate my soup, I just came to Japan and I did what anyone from a foreign country would do, keep your bowl on the table, I was given a really bad time by that a**hole, until his girlfriend jumped in and said that's how they do it...
    Anyway, I really find annoying some of the things that you can experiece, like hearing you are fat if you are a little bloated that day, or some 'comliments' I heard people get, like you have such a big nose.
    Oh, not to mention big boobs, which I kinda found funny, because I got that one quite often, and sadly, it's soooo far from being true, in my case I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by godppgo
    When Japanese say gaijin they don't really mean the word "foreigner" in English. There's a subtle difference there. Gaijin might be better interpreted as "not my race people". Sorry I can't really find a suitable English word for it but in most asian countries, the term gaijin doesn't necessary mean foreign country people.
    That's a good point. I think you are correct. But I still don't understand why they feel the need to use this word so often when they see some "not my race people". In such an international city as Tokyo, it's at best puerile when you hear salarymen saying "ah gaijin da" when they stumble into you in a lift or public toilet. It's not even embarassement (for supposingly not speaking the same language), as they don't have to talk to the "gaijin" in these situations.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

puzzled gaijin
    Thanks Maciamo, I could have used you in another thread on another forum. I probably argued some of these same points too strongly, but my main points were similar to some of the same conclusions here, that this superiority/inferiority condition exists (and I added that this attitude drives a lot of the xenophobia in Japan out came the sticks!) .

In addition, this persistent 'we vs. them', which you find to some extent in all countries of course, adds to this 'problem'. But what I also find interesting is the 'perpetual guest ' (no matter that I have lived here for 8 years, my wife is Japanese, and I have permanent residency) and VIP theories (favored treatment for foreigners, definately overated and may include this topic's title), which some of the foreigners have been brainwashed into believing !

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    That's a good point. I think you are correct. But I still don't understand why they feel the need to use this word so often when they see some "not my race people". In such an international city as Tokyo, it's at best puerile when you hear salarymen saying "ah gaijin da" when they stumble into you in a lift or public toilet.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways
    But what I also find interesting is the 'perpetual guest ' (no matter that I have lived here for 8 years, my wife is Japanese, and I have permanent residency) and VIP theories (favored treatment for foreigners, definately overated and may include this topic's title), which some of the foreigners have been brainwashed into believing !
    Asians are generally very "territorial" people. By territorial I mean they defind themselves largely by where they come from. This territorial trait is not based on the geographic area under a given jurisdiction type of territory. It has more to do with the particular place's people, food, and tradition. Asians (or Japanese) have very strong correlation with the place they were born or raised. One example is the use of koseki (ː). Koseki it is a document issued by Japanese government which states the person's place of birth. As long as you are not from the same "territory", they'll always view you as an outsider. This trait is further exaggerated when encountering a gaijin. Not only are gaijin come from a different territory then you are, they are of a different race from a different country. The territorial trait plus lack of experience with foreigner only make Japanese want to more distinguish themselves from gaijin. As for the causes of the territorial trait? I don't know how to answer that. Maybe someone on this forum can shed some light on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by godppgo View Post
    As for the causes of the territorial trait? I don't know how to answer that. Maybe someone on this forum can shed some light on this matter.
    It's a natural human trait.