Maciamo,
I think you paint with very broad brush strokes here. I have been to many small shops, restaurants, businesses that offer service above and beyond larger establishments--and i'm not just limiting this to businesses located in Japan.

Also, I work in one of the largest Japanese corporations, and let me tell you, there are many, many disillusioned, disheartened and generally displeased individuals working here. In the U.S., almost all employees are on a contract basis--meaning that they can quit (or be fired) on whim; whereas Japan seems to adopt a life-time employment approach. While less formalized, the U.S. also had something similar prior to the recession in the 70s. Simply put, american employees have a more independent attitude because it's the only way to survive in corporate america.

As expressed by my colleagues, japanese employees are for the most part, stuck in their job. Imagine working for a company for over 15+ years and hating most of it because the option of moving to another company usually means losing out on all the benefits amassed during your current tenure.

Basically, work sucks where ever you live.

As for the polite and curteous service you mentioned, I thought the same thing when i first arrived, and then realized how aggravating it is when you request something out of the norm. Ever try ordering extra pickles at McDonald's or ordering more rice at a Korean BBQ? They'll either give you that "mmm...aahhh..Uhh...I'm so sorry, buuuuttt....." OR they will charge your *** for every variation. Hell, the service here should be stellar because God knows you pay for it! I don't care what others say about service in the US because you ALWAYS have the option of NOT TIPPING!!