when it comes to dealing with foreigners. (In general.)

I think it mostly has to do with cultural elitism. Now, before everyone starts jumping all over me for saying this, keep in mind exactly what I said. I didn't say other cultures aren't guilty of this as well, or that this is the most horrible thing in the world.

My case in point: The types of questions I get asked. Because of my job, I travel frequently and come into contact with new groups of people all the time. The most common type of questions I get asked by students, (encouraged by the teachers) are "what Japanese things can't you do" kind of questions. I think everyone who has been to Japan has heard these kind of questions, but my point is that most Japanese people are only interested in hearing about what makes Japan unique. This can then lead to the attitude that Japan, and by extension Japanese people are better than foreigners. What bothers me the most is that this attitude is encouraged by teachers. By itself, this is mostly harmless, but coupled with xenophobia it can potentially be troublesome.

For example: Police starting to single out foreigners. A friend of mine living in the nieghboring town has been hassled twice by cops, just walking down the road at night. I've been stopped twice riding my bike, and asked to show ID and submitted to a variety of questions for as far as I could tell, no good reason. (This is a town of 2,000 people...)

Of course, this is an extreme example. Otherwise, it's just mostly annoying when people who have known me for two years treat me like I'm mentally retarded. It's annoying as hell when a school you've been to 20 times still thinks you can't use hashi, eat fish, read a menu, sit seiza, or do anything else that a foreigner stereotypically can't.

And, as long as I'm on a rant.... ;)

Man, it drives me nuts when I'm asked, "Do you have this in America?" when it's something obviously not from Japan. Especially words, like "virus."
(Rolls eyes.....)
I've compiled a list of things I've been asked if are in America....
1. 4 seasons
2. convenience stores
3. Disney Land
4. Snoop and Winnie the Pooh
The list goes on.....

Now, of all the problems in the world today, these are fairly insignificant, and I know I'm nit-picking. I love Japan and I've had wonderful experiences here. Just because I'm criticizing doesn't mean I'm Japan bashing, but this is something that needs to change.

Also, I want to back up what Ewok said. Ironically, I didn't notice most of these issues until I ended up living in the countryside. In Osaka, most of it went by unnoticed.