Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: The name clones of China

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post

The major problem is that Chinese surnames are limited to a single hanzi and a thus single syllable,there are only 700 surnames for 1.3 billion people.

Like the Japanese,Chinese people do not have multiple given names.
    Ancient Chinese surnames started out with 2 characters,as Kung-Sung for commonly known legendary ancestor Huang Di ( Yellow Emperor ) plus several examples I have to retrieve from my copy of " Chinese common family names ".There are 20-30 existent compound surnames with less than 1 million in population,Tse-Ma or Tse-To ( origin of court official rankings in ancient times ) and Au-Yang are common ones.

Chinese traditionally had multiple given names as the practice has faded in modern time,it's family to family whether one has 2 or more given names among younger generations.Me and my elder siblings have 2 given names at birth,one for public use and the other stays in written " jukpo " ( family root book ).My rarely used given name has 2 Kanji characters meaning " virtue fairy ",oppose to I am known to everyone as " way of love " for the meaning of my 2 Chinese ( monosyllabic characters ) first name.

Quote Originally Posted by ricecake View Post

My rarely used given name has 2 Kanji characters meaning " virtue fairy ",oppose to I am known to everyone as " way of love " for the meaning of my 2 Chinese ( monosyllabic characters ) first name.
    Minor modification,Chinese given name generally consists of " middle " and " first " names.For instance,my middle name is " way " with first name " love ".

However,I've met a few Chinese ( mainly the northerners ) only have one-character given name with no middle name.

Ancient Chinese surnames started out with 2 characters,several examples I have to retrieve from my copy of " Chinese common family names ".

Just an update,there are several known still in existent compound surnames of Han-Chinese origin.They are Wang-Pu,Dong-Fang,Si-Mong,Nan-Kong,and Seng-Kong plus some not listed here are dead but stay recorded in the book as reference.

Ancient Chinese surnames started out with 2 characters.

I need to make minor clarification here,there were also single-character surnames as well.Most Han Chinese family names branched out from those ancient ones created back then.