Quote Originally Posted by Brooker
Wow, what a response! Thanks everyone!

PaulTB wrote....

To be honest, I'm not familiar with what all the rumors and slanders may be (they certainly didn't want to spread that kind of thing around while I was working there) or I would have addressed them. If you have any particular examples, I'd be happy to address them here.

Playaa wrote....

A friend of mine who'd lived abroad told me about "the stages" before I went to Japan. It could have been a self forfilled prophecy (which I kind of doubt) but when it did happen to me just like he said it would it helped me to understand what I was feeling and helped me to not feel like I was going crazy. I remember thinking, "This is terrible, going to the supermarket does nothing for me now!"
I know the adjustion to Japan can be difficult for most foreigners just because it's not what they are used to. Also, if it takes a while to make friends then I can understand why the depression sets in. The thing is to make friends and enjoy yourself while you are here but enjoy yourself in a mannerly way too.

I've seen tons of my friends go through the depression stage...I never had any problems but everybody is not like me either.