I worked for Nova for a year, never heard of Union or drug testing. But OMG, some of the people should be screened for decency and sanity. You're right that the big city schools often have people who want to move up. And some are willing to "date" their way to the top. (I really wanna give names but that wouldn't be right wouldn it )

They really are a business, and you are lucky if the people in charge are caring otherwise you get your job threaten if you call in sick. My school told me that my probation would be extended for another month, even though I was sick with the flu and the runs (which I got from a sick student).

I want to go back to Japan, I would probably use Nova again, to get in and then get out as soon as possible it it got nasty again. The guy in charge of our group didn't even offer to renew my contract because I didn't get along with his chinese Aussie girlfriend who insulted every other teacher and spread lies and rumors and tried to make others feel bad. I stood up for the other teacher because they were good people from America and Australia and England and we all got along except for her. Oh well. I heard she dumped him for the head teacher.

As far as drug test and false positive. I know of a poor young navy fellow who loved to eat the lemon poppy bagels from the morning vendor, and he tested positive for opiates or something. This poor guy was like the biggest "boy scout" and he was devastated. Lucky for him they figured it out, but now the vendor is not allowed to sell his lemon poppy bagels anymore, and they were the best!