Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Japanese Sword Q&A Open Forum

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Katana is a traditional Japanese sword and was the weapon of samurai. It's length is about one meter, and it's efficiency is based on its sharpness and special cutting technique.

It's been made by using special methods and while it's blade is pretty strong, it can be very sharp.

Despite some katanas used by military, they are always manufactured by hand. The process of katana manufacturing includes a spiritual rite that swordsmith engages into and gives katana it's spirit. Still in Japan there are about one hundred swordsmiths.

Katanas can be manufactured from a junk iron (almost anything will do), and the enforging process includes lots of hammering and twisting and turning. When the blade's steel is enforged to a steel, a special shining and sharpening process takes place.

Katana was the main weapon of samurai. Samurais also carried their second weapon, a shorter dagger-like sword. Technique of the short sword swordmanship is well explained in Yoji Yamada's movie called "Tasogare Seibei" (Twilight Samurai).

Katana is combination of it's blade, special protective plate which protects it's users hands, known as tsuba, and it's handle. Blade is covered by scabbard, which is called saya. It's usually plain black and has a shiny lacquer.

At present in Japan, it is required to have a permission if one wants to posses a katana. Also, trying to transport a real katana through the airport and customs can be tricky. The punishment from trying to fool the authorities can be severe - they might cut your blade in two, practically rendering the katana worthless. So, before you try to move your priceless katana out from the Japan, you'd better to have a proper, written permission.

http://hanami.ath.cx/katana.html

Greetings people

I have just registered to this site, and wanted to say hello and thankyou for having me here.
    I have studied Martial arts for 18 years, iaido for approx. 15 yrs, and have a passion for Japanese swords.
    I am currently in the process of importing half a dozen blades from china ( i am almost certain they are simply chinese WW2 copies, but for the price are still great), and hope to one day trade Japanese swords.
    I am studying anything and everything i can find regarding blades, and came across this site.
    As i make my journey from Amatuer to knowledgable enthusiast it would be nice to discuss japanese blades with others who share my passion.
    If there is anyone who has knowledge of low quality WW2 blades, and WW2 copies it would be fantastic if they might be so kind as to view the pics of these blades and share any thought they might have regarding them.
    Some ten years ago i had a beutiful WW2 high ranking officers blade, mint condition, with original surrender tag. Sadly this blade was stolen from me.
    It is my hope to in several years purchase a pre WW2 blade, and am looking at blades somewhere around the 5-10 thousand dollar mark.
    For now I am purchasing these chinese copies for practical use. Even though WW2 blades are far from amazing, i still would not damage one (if for historical reasons only) by polishing the blade, re-doing the furniture, saya, subre, and overall defacing the weapon
    With a chinese copy this would not inspire any tears. I simply want a blade for kata, and practise cutting, (apples potatos, and later, rolled tatami mats and bamboo).
    Thankyou once again for your hospitality members, mods,
    I look forward to discussing Japanese weapons in more depth in the future.
    Be well, Paradoks

Input on WW2 Era Blades.

I have no way of knowing how deep your knowledge runs, but caring for ANY sword is a 'given', regardless of its era. They should ALL be cared for and passed on in as good as or better condition than you received it. There is nothing wrong with polishing blades, as long as you know what you are doing and don't take your efforts too far. Obviously, you need some education in this area beforehand, but cleaning up marred or badly messed up blades with the appropriate stones is a source of deep satisfaction.
    Although blades made for WW2 are looked down on and not collected in Japan, they are occasionally surprising in their quality and usefulness. Not all were just punched out for average service men; many were made for officers by better-quality smiths, and are nice pieces of work. There is no 'holy grail' about remounting military swords. As a matter of fact, once remounted in older, more 'traditional' furniture, they often make very decent Iaito or practice swords for tameshigiri/test cutting.
    That said, the main reason I write this is to make you aware of a very good recent book in English that deals almost exclusively with modern blades, beginning with WW2 ... "Modern Japanese Swords and Swordsmiths" by Leon & Hiroko Kapp, and Yoshindo Yoshihara (who also collaborated on a very nice book some years ago, "The Craft of the Japanese Sword). An outstanding and informative book, it goes on to outline many modern smiths working in Japan. Consider finding this book and you will be pleased with the knowledge and insights you will have gained.
    Good luck. David Terrell

Hi, I saw this Q&A in a diferent thread, but it was closed. so I thought of posting here.
    I hope it is not wrong

Q: Who would win if they fought one another, a samurai or a European knight?
    A: Speculation abounds and a few really good sites on the net offer wonderful articles. I encourage everyone to check them out. In short, all anyone can really say is that it ultimately comes down to the people wielding the swords and not any inherent advantage in style or weaponry.
    Here the answer says , there are many articles, but doesn't give a correct answer ?
    Can someone give me good links for some articles, which has clearly explained about both advantages and disadvantages of Samurai and European Knight.