Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is your motivation to learn Japanese ?

Voters
746. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to communicate with my Japanese relatives

57 7.64%
  • I want to talk to my Japanese friends or make some new ones

290 38.87%
  • I live in Japan (so for daily life use...)

62 8.31%
  • My boyfriend/girlfriend is Japanese or want to make one.

136 18.23%
  • I (will) need it for my job

152 20.38%
  • To read the manga or understand the anime

289 38.74%
  • For the video games

171 22.92%
  • To travel in Japan

384 51.47%
  • I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.

557 74.66%
  • For no particular reason or others (please specify in forum)

88 11.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are you learning Japanese ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm learning Japanese, because....

No reason, really. I just want to be bilingual(did I spell that right?). Anyway, I can speak French too. So, I guess that would make me trilingual. HA!!!
    "Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot."
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    by Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)

Hi I'm new here. I got into Japanese from buying an anime after reading about it in and old British music paper , the N.M.E..Then I got into the music and wanted to learn Japanese to help me understand lyrics and 'raw' anime.
    Er... that was 2 1/2 years ago and am still very keen.Cheers!

Hmmm

You know, I discovered that, anime and j-pop are one of the main reasons why people want to learn japanese.

Speaking another language wouldn't hurt.... if it doesn't take much effort... who wouldn't learn?

ignorati I guess.

ax

I am interested in Japanese culture/language, etc.<--..that's what i picked from the poll..^^..but i was alway interested about it's language and culture and maybe i want to teach English in Japan when i'm older[??..-.-]. Also, the music might be another reason. lol...i just bought myself a beginnier's book on how to read and write...but i'm planing to find a language school in my cite and go to it in th esummer ot take lessons..^^..

HELLO! ^_^ I JUST SIGNED UP TODAY! i hope some one that knows japanese can help me out. i would really like to learn japanese. i hope to visit there someday and would love to meet ppl there and be able to talk to them in thier native tounge. anyone interested in helping me?!?

I'm studying Japanese for a variety of reasons. I lived in Japan for three years during elementary school, but I didn't put much effort into learning the language (I went to an international school where all the instruction was given in English, so I could get by without knowing a lot of Japanese). So, in part, I'm addressing a regret that I've carried with me for over 20 years.

Also, I'm very seriously considering moving to Japan. I'm a math teacher and I realize that, without native or near-native fluency, I certainly wouldn't be able to teach in any Japanese schools. So I hope to get a job teaching high school mathematics at one of the international schools in Tokyo, Osaka, etc. (This won't be for a couple of years, as I just accepted a job offer at a local high school and have entered into a tacit commitment to stay for several years.) But I suppose that doesn't explain why I'm studying Japanese, eh? Well, having lived as an ignorant gaijin previously, I would rather have at least some ability to speak the language before moving there.

(That won't necessarily not make me an ignorant gaijin...but it's a start!)

Finally, in the meantime I hope to visit Japan (and some friends who live there) at least twice a year. I traveled to Tokyo and Okayama in December and will go to Okayama again in July...and I'd like to be able to talk to people while I'm there, of course!

It would seem to be a waste to go all that way and then be able to neither express oneself nor understand anyone around you.

Dan

I wish I were a bird... Hikki Kokurabuji's Avatar
    The reason?
    My life is practically full of Japanese-related stuffs (anime, manga, music, samurai, cosplay, etc). Though I live in Malaysia (yes, Hikki has revealed his origin), I have deep desire of staying in Japan even only for a day of two. And yeah, if I get the chance to stay in Japan, I'll ty hard to introduce our Malaysian culture and lifestyle to them (umm... if I really have that chance )

Quote Originally Posted by Ma Cherie
    You know, I discovered that, anime and j-pop are one of the main reasons why people want to learn japanese
    Yes, majority of the people want to learn Japanese simply because of the influential impact anime & J-pop have made. Including me!

currently listening to: Heya! (Outkast)
    "I wish I were a bird..."
    Chiyo-chichi, Azumanga Daioh

The Japanese Language is one of the best sounding languages in the world. As a English speaker I am tired of English I find the language not to fun. I have wanted to learn Gaelic but Not that many people speak it and it would not benifit me to learn it. Gaelic is my favorit Wester language. But I have always been a Asian fan. Japanese is my favorit language and It can help me out in life be cause there is a use for it Movies, Manga, order food, Talk to people, And to have a chance to live in Japan for a while and mabey for good if I like it their.

i am learning japanese because i want to move there in the near future, i think its only complimentary to learn the native language

I am studying japanese because I am going to (HOPEFULLY) study abroad there next year for 8 months, and if not... the year after next year. Also, for a reason Midori has as well, I am an engineering major (mech. engineering) and I hope to find a job in japan after I graduate that deals with engineering. I also enjoy anime, japanese music, japanese tv, japanese cars, japanese food... well... i guess I like a lot of stuff japanese

Comfortably Ignorant Faustianideals's Avatar
    I think learning the language would be helpful.

I orginally wanted to learn Japanese for the video games, the manga, and the anime. (Mostly for the video games) Now I'm interested in the culture, I would like to make some Japanese friends, I might like to live there one day, and I don't much like the English language. I have spoken English all my life, yet I think that English is wierd. Does that make me wierd? hmmm... something to think about...
    MS-DOS is sweet... Add Japanese language support and it totally rocks!!

I'm not quite sure why or when I got so interested in the japanese language.
    I have a really hard time learning anything at all, but I will someday master it

well.. "master it" was a little too powerful word.
    But optimism never hurt anyone..
    right?...
    If In Doubt...
    Run And Hide...

gakuin-design college

i speak conversation japanese, but i need to be fluent in order to attend an animation college in chioda-ku, shinjuku, tokyo. it is a specialized animation college and you should be able to speak "decent" japanese.

Japanese language is a beautiful language. I like the sound especially. On the top of that, I practise Aikido, it helps me to understand the art better, especially the names of those techniqes. Some of my senseis are Japanese, though they can speak English, they are not fluent at it, and it seems that certain things can't be translated into English without losing its original meaning. I like to watch manga and anime too, there are also loads of Japanese resourses on the internet. If I am not wrong, Japanese-language website is ranked third, after English and Chinese. So, there are too many incentives to learn this wonderful language.

Well, I've always been interested in Japanese culture...

...ironically it is both the tiniest percentage of my heredity and the only part I'm really interested in.

I've also had an interest in studying the way people communicate, I find that you can learn alot about a person or even an entire civilization by the way they communicate things--so for me learning Nihongo is a good way to gain a deeper understanding of Japanese culture.
    Baka ningen.

Hi, I want to learn Japanese (I'm in classes) because I want to study in Japan in a future, and want to marry a japanese woman, I'm also interested in Japanese culture, I bsolutely love their way of living and of course Japan itself, it's sooo cool!!! and g course I want to make japanese friends ;)....

Chaos!

Assassin at Dawn RiseLikeARevolution's Avatar
    In the last few months Japan and things to do with Japan have been popping up all over the place.Well about 3 or 4 months ago, I decided to start searching for many Japanese things to see what the fuss was about. I instantly found what I saught in different things like the rising Mangas, the J-Music, and well, fell in love. Of course, many people have been into all this for years, but you have to start some where right? Anyway of course the language caught my attention...so I am hopefully going to find a way to learn it! The school doesnt teach it because I guess not many would take it so I will have to look for some place, but no matter how long it takes I will learn it and I will go to Japan and if I can find a decent job, I will stay there forever!!!!

Okay sorry getting a bit over enthusiastic but when speaking of anything Japanese...I get that way.

news flash i know now 39 my japanese studdys r going great

I'll tell the truth . . . i want to learn for the girls . . . they so cute the japanese girls . . .

Nihongo wo benkyoo shitemasu.....

watashi no namae wa james des......

watashi wa igirisu kara kimashita.........

i don't know much, but i must have patience

Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.

Quote Originally Posted by seto
    Hey I'm new here. I'm an East Asian Studies major and currently have been studying Japanese for little over a year. At first I studied Chinese and only later decided to pick up Japanese as well, thinking I could pick the language easily with my background in Chinese. Boy was I wrong. However I have enjoyed studying Japanese and hope to become at least adequate in the language. I also hope to visit Japan after I graduate college.
    Nice to see you here!
    I study japanese cause i'm interested in j-culture and i plan to live in Japan with my b-f. I also would like to work there as an engineer.

I live inside all beings, i am the force and the greatness that comes with free will.
    I plan to create a new civil order in Japan, and to protect america from further invasion.
    MUuahahahhah.

\x/3 0\x/^ ;00
    Are you Sarah Connor?

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast