In England I believe it's the tradition that it's one month's salary - but I never even heard of that until recently.

My fiance was more bothered about buying me a really nice ring than I was. For me, any cheap thing would have done, because it's the relationship that's important, not the ring or any such material things. Luckily we are both in agreement on that, but he wanted to buy me a nice ring because he thought to buy a dead cheap one would be like saying I'm not worth spending much. But I was determined not to let him spend too much, and he saved up and paid for the ring in cash. It was the plainest ring in the cabinet but in all honesty it is the one I liked best. I can't stand big flashy diamonds and I wanted something small (also for practical reasons!).

Here, I think it depends on the individual if they wear both rings after marriage or just one. My mum only wore her wedding ring except on special occasions, and I had planned to do the same. But I kinda got used to my engagement ring now, and I think I might end up just carrying on wearing it. It would seem a shame not to, as he worked so hard to get it and it's so pretty, and besides, if I left it in my house I might get a house thief! o_o