Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What do you dislike about Japan or Japanese people ? (choose all that apply)

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Concrete buildings and the lack of urban planning

15 23.81%
  • Lack of respect of nature (concrete all along the coast, hills, few parks in cities, etc.)

12 19.05%
  • Non-buried electric lines everywhere

18 28.57%
  • Lack of thermic isolation and central heating in houses

20 31.75%
  • 5-month-long muggy summers (except Hokkaido and Tohoku)

21 33.33%
  • Natural disasters (earthquakes, typhoons...)

13 20.63%
  • Lack of preservation of the historical heritage

15 23.81%
  • Political corruption (amakudari system, government using postal savings...)

14 22.22%
  • Police checks on non Japanese (e.g. gaikokujin torokusho)

14 22.22%
  • People pointing or staring at foreigners, or saying "gaijin, gaijin !" or "Hello America !"

16 25.40%
  • People telling you that gaijin come to Japan to make money, when salaries are higher in your country

13 20.63%
  • Assumptions that foreigners in Japan commit much more crimes than the Japanese

24 38.10%
  • Assumptions that almost all foreigners living in Japan cannot speak Japanese

14 22.22%
  • Remarks inspired by jingoism (4 seasons, farmer vs hunter, etc.)

13 20.63%
  • Ignorance about the rest of the world (cultures, geography, history...)

21 33.33%
  • General denial or downplaying of war atrocities

13 20.63%
  • Discrimination in general (toward women, young people, foreigners, burakumin...)

30 47.62%
  • The education system (school + juku + homeworks and they still do not learn anything)

19 30.16%
  • The exceptional Japanese ability to copy what China or the West did/does

5 7.94%
  • Other (please specify)

8 12.70%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What do you dislike about Japan ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I hate the national obsession with consuming brands and accumulating status symbols, which just goes to further strengthen the idea that appearances are everything here. Although, not entirely unique to Japan only, it is a problem in that it creates an indifference to nature and preservation of resources, a tendency to feel entitled to unfettered self indulgence, which leads to obscene amounts of wastage!!! Most Japanese grow up in a highly urbanized environment. Their macro-focus on the environment is ultimately destructive, as they become accustomed to appreciating tiny nuggets of natural beauty within the ever expanding urban sprawl. Japanese kids lack even basic respect for the environment, i.e putting the garbage in a bin!! Couple this with the fact that municipal governments don't supply public trash bins and it results in the huge amounts of garbage you see everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Man View Post
    it results in the huge amounts of garbage you see everywhere.
    Wow you know that's the first time I ever heard anyone complain about Japan being dirty. Interesting observation.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeika View Post
    Wow you know that's the first time I ever heard anyone complain about Japan being dirty. Interesting observation.
    Admittedly, this is NOT the dirtiest country on the planet, (India makes this place look positively sterile) but it's definitely not what I'd classify as a clean country either, probably because I come from one of the cleanest. (Mind you, if NZ had the population of Japan, I would probably have to eat my words) I could go on about all the postitive aspects of life here too, but those are things I don't want to see changed. There is always room for improvement, and to complain (constructively) is a healthy way to perhaps get a ball or two rolling.
    Last edited by Mr Man; Apr 2, 2007 at 20:33.