Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Is there a link between Japan's obsession for the seasons and high urban population ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So then what's the difference?
    You've got the uchi-soto as Japanese does.

Quote Originally Posted by pipokun
    So then what's the difference?
    You've got the uchi-soto as Japanese does.
    It's not really the same. Uchi-soto can be on various scales : family, company, country... I think that Northern European are a bit less exclusive in the uchi-soto regarding the family, but Southern European are more like the Japanese. However, regarding companies or country, all Westerners tend to be much less uchi-soto oriented. The Japanese always compared everything to Japan and foreigners can never truly be accepted as Japanese, even taking on the Japanese nationality and being fluent in Japanese. Even Koreans and Chinese, who look like the Japanese. This is a strong contrast to Western countries.

In most Western countries, the individual is more important than the group, so the importance and exclusivity of the group is played down. That's why I have never heard of 3 generations living under the same roof in a Western country, but it's common in Japan as it is "the family", "the uchi group".

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    It's not really the same. Uchi-soto can be on various scales : family, company, country... I think that Northern European are a bit less exclusive in the uchi-soto regarding the family, but Southern European are more like the Japanese. However, regarding companies or country, all Westerners tend to be much less uchi-soto oriented. The Japanese always compared everything to Japan and foreigners can never truly be accepted as Japanese, even taking on the Japanese nationality and being fluent in Japanese. Even Koreans and Chinese, who look like the Japanese. This is a strong contrast to Western countries.

In most Western countries, the individual is more important than the group, so the importance and exclusivity of the group is played down. That's why I have never heard of 3 generations living under the same roof in a Western country, but it's common in Japan as it is "the family", "the uchi group".
    It'd be nice if you tell me more specifics. Tell me how you tame regional conflicts in your country, Belgium.