Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Japan's bad half : the puerile, the irresponsible, the perverted, and the handicapped

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot
    the lack of privacy.
    Me: "Yes, it's English. I'm writing today's lesson plan."*
    Principal: (Speaking to everyone in the vicinity.) "It's English! Ha Ha, I can't understand English at all."*

(Tries to read outloud what I'm writing, fails.)

Principal: "Ha ha, English is difficult."*
    Yes. This has happened to many many times too. Not just at the computer but when I wa reading books or documents, sometime in public spaces.

Worst of all, my "step-father-in-law" once came behind me when I was writing a mail to my family in French. He reacted the same way "ah, what language is that"
    Me : French"
    Him : "ahh, I can't read French, aahhahah"
    then he asked me "Oh can you write in French, sugoi desu ne !".
    I was stunned and thought "What, it's one year I am married to your don't your step-daughter and you still don't know my my mother-tongue is French !"

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Yes. This has happened to many many times too. Not just at the computer but when I wa reading books or documents, sometime in public spaces.

Worst of all, my "step-father-in-law" once came behind me when I was writing a mail to my family in French. He reacted the same way "ah, what language is that"
    Me : French"
    Him : "ahh, I can't read French, aahhahah"
    then he asked me "Oh can you write in French, sugoi desu ne !".
    I was stunned and thought "What, it's one year I am married to your don't your step-daughter and you still don't know my my mother-tongue is French !"
    Yeah, it happens a lot this way...they either don't hear very well or take a person's whole situation (only the surface behavior) into account. Like arriving last month into Narita, the first thing after calling the friends I'd be staying with I mentioned being tired (after a 12 hour flight, imagine such at thing ! ). A while after getting to their apartment I mentioned it again. This time he was surprised "Oh, really....you're tired ??" Naturally I was equally startled.

I could just a cultural difference in how privacy or personal space is respected and nothing to take personally But what would have been intuitive to most American families (You must be exhausted....can I do anything to help ? no need to stay up talking when you could be in bed....etc) seems for some reason not to be so much there.