Now back on subect. I lived in the suburbs of Tokyo and my apartment was a 7 min walk from the train station. When we visit, it is to the same area. Other than a snack that opened up across the street, and the paper thin walls, it was, for the most part, pretty quiet when I had my own place; away from the hustle and bustle of the area around the train station.

There are plenty of sounds I look back on with fond memories.

Those huge crows cawing in the morning.

The sound of a motorcycle delivering papers at 2 or 3 in the morning.

The song the driver of the kerosene truck always played: "It's a small, small, world we live in...." Jeeze, that song stayed in your head all day!

The song that the driver selling clothes poles played: "Somewhere over the Rainbow"

The yaki imo guy: Yakiii imo, ishi yaki imo." These are sweet potatoes cooked on rocks.

The volunteers walking around the neighborhood on winter nights yelling, "Hi no yoooooji," Be careful of fires, and slapping two sticks together.

The distant ambulances and police cars screeming through the night. There seemed to be at least one a night.

The occassional car speeding down the narrow streets at night making the apartment shake.

What I really didn't like was the jets from Atsugi US Navy base that screamed over the area in the mornings and shook all the houses. The sound was really irritating, especially when it continued for two or three hours.

I always enjoyed the noises and sounds around the station and in department stores.

The sounds of the waiters in the Izakaya or aka chochin yelling out their orders to the kitchen, "Dai Jokki icho onegaishimasu," One large draft beer!

But compared to where I live in the states, Japan is a much noiser place, and I really don't mind it. Here the department stores, malls and restaurants are so quiet by comparison. Too quiet.

To think of it I really can't come up with any noises that irritated be about Japan other than the jets.