Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    a non member
    any information about Japanese and not being able to get a CC? Maybe living situation and working situation matters... plus the guy behind the desk

I was turned down a couple of times last summer when I appplied after coming back to Japan after living abroad for a long time. They did not share with me the reason for it but I suspect it had something to do with the fact I had been out of the country for 20 years and did not have any track record whatsoever here in Japan.
    My current job is my first "real" job I have ever had in Japan so I will wait a few more months and establish myself here, so to speak, and apply again.

I was an exchange student with Waseda for one year and Mizuho gave me a credit card with a 100,000 yen limit. Just checked a box when I applied for a bank account.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Baka View Post
    any information about Japanese and not being able to get a CC? Maybe living situation and working situation matters... plus the guy behind the desk
    Being Japanese but self-employed is another hurdle, esp. if your operation is small (just me and my husband).

But, my husband had credit cards he got while still working for a big business corporation. When we delivered on our first very large purchase (in millions of yen), the credit card company immediately promoted our membership.

I think what most young Japanese without jobs in big companies do is to get the most easily obtainable credit card (such as from a supermarket chain), build up credit history and move on from there.

However, with the economy sagging, credit card issues will probably become harder to get than ever for Japanese, too.

Quote Originally Posted by epigene View Post
    Being Japanese but self-employed is another hurdle, esp. if your operation is small (just me and my husband).
    But, my husband had credit cards he got while still working for a big business corporation. When we delivered on our first very large purchase (in millions of yen), the credit card company immediately promoted our membership.
    I think what most young Japanese without jobs in big companies do is to get the most easily obtainable credit card (such as from a supermarket chain), build up credit history and move on from there.
    However, with the economy sagging, credit card issues will probably become harder to get than ever for Japanese, too.
    Anyone else find it amusing that the big Japanese banks have ruined their balance sheets so thoroughly and are asking for government money, but if you work in a small business that they treat YOU like you are the worst credit risk in the history of the world? Hypocrites!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Barkley View Post
    Those who have been rejected for credit cards here--why not get one from your home country?
    Or if the job/money/etc you have is in Japan, does that render you ineligible for appropriate limit cards in your home country?
    I have just kept my American credit card and used that on the rare occassions I actually need it (just online purchasing).
    Because making payment on them from Japan is a real pain in da butt.
    Last edited by Echigo; Dec 19, 2008 at 16:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

It somewhat depends on how long you have been in Japan and also what company you go with. It's kind of like the States. Once you receive one it gets easier to get others The thing to realize is that your credit history from other countries do not carry over.