I don't think anyone here realistically believes discriminatory attitudes aren't a problem in Japan, they're a problem in every country so to say Japan has none at all would be sheer blindness.

But tolerance goes BOTH ways. Changing the attitudes of a few people who reject the principles of the existing legislative enactments is a life long endeavour which is chiefly accomplished by other individuals becoming ambassadors of their own culture. Therefore, worrying about this, banging drums, sounding alarms, and forcing change doesn't help the situation and probably creates resistance and ill-will towards foreigners where it may not have even existed prior.

Understanding how the Japanese culture works and finding a solution thusly tailored to generating a change in attitude seems more sensible to me then forcing people to let you into their restaurants by drawing unwanted attention and shame to the situation as that jackass Debito does. I'm sure he's SO well-received and really changes people's hearts and minds with his approach.