Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: PG-rated : 40 reasons to think that the Japanese are superficial

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I suppose it also depends on the individual person's attitude. I mean, discussion of politics and political issues can be an interesting and entertaining "brain exercise" without necessarily leading to stress... whereas some people might find that kind of thing more stressful.

Similarly, I find discussion about people and/or relationships to be quite "intellectual" in nature because such topics deal with psychology, even if the people holding the conversation don't realise that's what they're engaged in and don't use "intellectual" terminology. And pretty well everyone on earth talks about other people! It's surprising how much really complicated interaction and stuff goes on within a conversation that sounds shallow and rather ordinary on the surface.

Similarly, I find discussion about people and/or relationships to be quite "intellectual" in nature because such topics deal with psychology, even if the people holding the conversation don't realise that's what they're engaged in and don't use "intellectual" terminology.
    It's the same with explanations I receive as a student from my Japanese elders and discussions we engage in on language issues which tend to be very patiently considered, diligent and thorough for what I'm interested in on a practical level. Not a lot of linguistic or grammatical analysis but something that can always be referenced for day to day affairs and the business of living.

The word superficial I agree gives the totally wrong impression that makes it sounds like they are lazy or out partying until all hours...