Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
Am I guessing that by this reaction you are American ?
I am, but I don't see how that's relevant. Food, sex and looks are important in any culture..

In what way is that unique or special. I certainly do feel the impermanence more than many Japanese. In fact, we could argue that the Japanese dislike change (why I love it and need it). The concept of impermanence in Japan comes from Buddhism/Hinduism, so we could say that it is shared by at leats half of the people in the world (just China and India make up 2.4 billion people).
Agreed, impermanence is not unique to Japan. That wasn't a claim.

For me, enjoying one's senses is never profound. That is what we share in common with many animals, especially mammals. For me, profoundity relates to using the frontal cortex of one's brain.
How austere. Thing is, no matter how much you use the ol' frontal cortex, no matter what country or socio-economic class you're from, you still have to eat and have sex. We are after all animals. That the Japanese do not deny this but make good sport of it is a different brand of profundity than you're allowing here.

My point is that this '40 reasons' thing says much more about your own cultural values on superficiality than about anything inherent to Japan.