Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Are Japanese more hypocritical with foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    I think that this is not only typical of the Japanese, but all (South-) East Asians. To illustrate, throughout China's history, people's loyalties could shift easily from the losing to the winning side, because they didn't fight for a cause or principle (including religion), but for more down-to-earth reasons such as food, money or power.
    About the "influenceable" and "rational judgement", i'd like to write down some of my feelings. In some popular Chinese bbs, I can feel the radical emotion strongly. Some people's words are even rude and uncivil. Not everything under the name nationalism or patriotism is correct, I think, sometimes too nationalistic seems parochial. I don't know if it has relation with our education system, but i remembered when I was a teenager I knew nothing and cared about nothing except study. Teachers like to see this phenomenon I guess, and they never taught us thinking independently. That's just my personal exprience and feeling, things may have been changing.

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar

Yes, Japan does has some deep seated issues

when it comes to dealing with foreigners. (In general.)

I think it mostly has to do with cultural elitism. Now, before everyone starts jumping all over me for saying this, keep in mind exactly what I said. I didn't say other cultures aren't guilty of this as well, or that this is the most horrible thing in the world.

My case in point: The types of questions I get asked. Because of my job, I travel frequently and come into contact with new groups of people all the time. The most common type of questions I get asked by students, (encouraged by the teachers) are "what Japanese things can't you do" kind of questions. I think everyone who has been to Japan has heard these kind of questions, but my point is that most Japanese people are only interested in hearing about what makes Japan unique. This can then lead to the attitude that Japan, and by extension Japanese people are better than foreigners. What bothers me the most is that this attitude is encouraged by teachers. By itself, this is mostly harmless, but coupled with xenophobia it can potentially be troublesome.

For example: Police starting to single out foreigners. A friend of mine living in the nieghboring town has been hassled twice by cops, just walking down the road at night. I've been stopped twice riding my bike, and asked to show ID and submitted to a variety of questions for as far as I could tell, no good reason. (This is a town of 2,000 people...)

Of course, this is an extreme example. Otherwise, it's just mostly annoying when people who have known me for two years treat me like I'm mentally retarded. It's annoying as hell when a school you've been to 20 times still thinks you can't use hashi, eat fish, read a menu, sit seiza, or do anything else that a foreigner stereotypically can't.

And, as long as I'm on a rant.... ;)

Man, it drives me nuts when I'm asked, "Do you have this in America?" when it's something obviously not from Japan. Especially words, like "virus."
    (Rolls eyes.....)
    I've compiled a list of things I've been asked if are in America....
    1. 4 seasons
    2. convenience stores
    3. Disney Land
    4. Snoop and Winnie the Pooh
    The list goes on.....

Now, of all the problems in the world today, these are fairly insignificant, and I know I'm nit-picking. I love Japan and I've had wonderful experiences here. Just because I'm criticizing doesn't mean I'm Japan bashing, but this is something that needs to change.

Also, I want to back up what Ewok said. Ironically, I didn't notice most of these issues until I ended up living in the countryside. In Osaka, most of it went by unnoticed.

Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot

Of course, this is an extreme example. Otherwise, it's just mostly annoying when people who have known me for two years treat me like I'm mentally retarded.
    I have long maintained that the greatest unfairness about Japan is that while foreigners are often treated like idiots, idiots are never treated like foreigners.

I jump to conclusions mad pierrot's Avatar
    I have long maintained that the greatest unfairness about Japan is that while foreigners are often treated like idiots, idiots are never treated like foreigners.

Good stuff. The question is, how do idiot foreigners get treated?

Good stuff. The question is, how do idiot foreigners get treated?
    With compassion and patience, at least on Okinawa. And we have given them cause to show both.

I have to admit Maciamo, I have never experienced this walking the streets of Naha, or any other town on Okinawa. Of course, they may be more accustomed to the presence of gaijin on their streets because of the greater density of US military personnel, dependants, and even tourists than the residents of Tokyo experience. Except during the brief periods of political madness that seem to sweep the island about once each year, the Ryukyan people are the most patient, forgiving, and tolerant I have ever known...perhaps because we have compelled them to endure and tolerate so much foolishness, I dunno.
    Last edited by Shooter452; Feb 1, 2005 at 09:33. Reason: Content changes

Man, it drives me nuts when I'm asked, "Do you have this in America?" when it's something obviously not from Japan. Especially words, like "virus."
    (Rolls eyes.....)
    1. 4 seasons
    2. convenience stores
    3. Disney Land
    The list goes on.....
    Your posts are sooo long! The examples are really funny, I can't help laughing... can't believe who will ask those questions?

(Rolls eyes.....)
    1. 4 seasons
    2. convenience stores
    3. Disney Land
    The list goes on.....
    *falls down on the floor laughing*

21st Cherry Boy, I Wanna To Be Your Toy