Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Is Japan a Western country (please read the thread before)

Voters
357. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

35 9.80%
  • Maybe, depends how you see it

123 34.45%
  • No

186 52.10%
  • Don't know

13 3.64%

Thread: Is Japan a Western country ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heimin
    "But looking at it like that, few countries in the world if any have resisted westernization. Japan is however one of the most Westernized countries in Asia, along with Singapore and South Korea. Sometimes I am really surprised at how many English words are used in everyday Japanese. I think no European language uses nearly as many."

Whahahaha, will you cut out with the western crap. It's not like your country Belgium has done a lot for Japan. Belgium has been influenced a lot by the US. A lot of modern stuff comes from the US. Not only the US, but also France, Germany, etc. Democracy is Greece, for example. WhAHHAHAHAHA European nationality, your sucky country could never ever ever become a superpower or anything significant by itself, that's why. And I know Belgian chocolates are really yummy, but chocolate is not an original belgin thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Meiki
    "But looking at it like that, few countries in the world if any have resisted westernization. Japan is however one of the most Westernized countries in Asia, along with Singapore and South Korea. Sometimes I am really surprised at how many English words are used in everyday Japanese. I think no European language uses nearly as many."

Whahahaha, will you cut out with the western crap. It's not like your country Belgium has done a lot for Japan. Belgium has been influenced a lot by the US. A lot of modern stuff comes from the US. Not only the US, but also France, Germany, etc. Democracy is Greece, for example. WhAHHAHAHAHA European nationality, your sucky country could never ever ever become a superpower or anything significant by itself, that's why. And I know Belgian chocolates are really yummy, but chocolate is not an original belgin thing.
    You quote him about English language in Japan & then you criticise him on being Belgian? What's the point?

I haven't read the thread from the beginning unfortunately... but I agree with Maciamo's interesting comment about Westernization.

Also, though, there are other ways in which cultures are shared and balances get redressed. At the moment there seems a lot of countries 'Westernized' in the sense of having absorbed a lot of the culture that originated from Europe (and later from the US). But with better communications, more people find out about all different things... other countries and cultures... I think in the future, perhaps 'Westernization' isn't so rapid. I can envisage that some cultural things become more homogenous and less 'cultural divide', between all countries. It can already be seen happening - but of course, I look into a far future rather than the near one.

Oh, and let's not insult each other's countries, OK?