I would completly agree with you. Most japanese people are afraid of speaking to foreigners who do not speak japanese. However, I also had great conversation with Japanese people, and some people met at random actually became real friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Otenba View Post
Look, when I go to Israel, shame on me, I can't speak Hebrew. If someone there addresses me in Hebrew or very poor English, I don't know what to reply cause I don't know what they said anyways. As sorry as I may be in such cases, conversation's over. No mutual comprehension = no communication, it's as simple as that, and many, many Japanese people don't expect you to speak much of their language and have little confidence in their own English skills, so they may avoid conversations they deem hopeless for lack of understanding one-another.
So in short, the conversations I had with Japanese people after breaking some ice, were among the greatest I ever had. Making them feel at ease and like they don't have to put on an act, is a good thing, just don't be explicit about it.
I apply the rule: if they don't smell of evil/false niceness, don't search for any. Be nice and take the chat as far as they let you, and if they start quieting down, you probably went too far, but if they can't stop talking and listening to you, you're doing great. Believe in kindness when it's offered to you.