Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Ainu recognised as indigenous people of Japan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Those conquered Emishi people weren't completely wiped out or disappeared during Yamato's " eastward expansion ",I believe they blended in or assimiliated into the general population except for the ones
    they were not living in only tohoku area
    they were living in whole japan.

for example, saeki clan
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BD%...BC%AF%E6%B0%8F

I think that in process of their moving to the warm place, hokkaido ainu was isolated

I like this theory it is fun

about Emishi..

a first, nihonshoki is a story of history....
    according to Nihonshoki, Yamato fought against emishi when it conquered in Japan.
    what is the Yevusi in Holy bible? I guess....
    http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja...C%E7%B4%A2&lr=

what does ananiyashi mean in ancient Hebrew Aramaic
    ?.
    in Nihonshoki , when Izanagi and Izanami got married, they shout " ananiyashi(ana-nisa)"

An Interesting People

I confess that I did not realise that the Ainu were not officially recognised for being what they undoubtedly are!

I agree with Marsman; this is recognition that is long overdue.

I am also interested in these peoples for another reason. Is it possible that there are genetic or cultural connections between the Ainu and Amerindians from the Pacific Northwest of Canada and the USA?

My son has recently become engaged to a young lady who has very strong Northwestern Aboriginal roots (We like to keep adding to the gene pool...!). A few months ago I showed her a few photographs of Ainu and asked her as to which Nation she thought they were from, and where the photographs might have been taken.

After guessing various Haida and Tlingit people, "somewhere on Vancouver Island" etc. etc. - she was quite amazed when I told her they were inhabitants of Hokkaido! She's still scratching her head.

... just food for thought ...

ƒWƒ‡ƒ“
    Why have an electric toothbrush ... if you don't have electric teeth?

Veni, vidi... vicodin? GodEmperorLeto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensuikan San View Post
    I am also interested in these peoples for another reason. Is it possible that there are genetic or cultural connections between the Ainu and Amerindians from the Pacific Northwest of Canada and the USA?
    From what I understand, there is connection inasmuch there is genetic commonalities between all Native American peoples and the East Asiatics--the Native Americans were descended from a series of migrations that flooded into the Americas during the late Pleistocene/early Holocene.

Cultural similarities are definitely present, but one must be careful of drawing too many conclusions from scanty anthropological evidence. Indeed, modern Ainu culture is undoubtedly not identical with previous Emishi societies. Changes have been inevitably wrought upon the culture as a result of time, war, and other factors. Culture is never perfectly continuous through time, although they have undoubtedly preserved a great deal of their ancestor's ways of life.

It is not accurate to compare the Ainu to Native Americans, as some might be tempted to do. Rather, the conquest of the Emishi during the 8th century was more akin to the Roman conquest of Gaul--military rule coincided with the cultural assimilation of the conquered, and the investment of the conquered into the new regime. Hence, the Emishi became integrated into the Fujiwara regency of Tohoku. Those who didn't want to assimilate moved to Hokkaido and became Ezo/Ainu, where they later suffered further losses to Japanese colonization during subsequent periods.

Hence, to identify them as the indigenous people of Japan isn't entirely accurate--they are descended from them, inasmuch as they are descended from the Jomon and subsequent Emishi peoples.
    Ὦ ƒÌƒÃῖƒË', ἀƒÁƒÁέƒÉƒÉƒÃƒÇƒË ƒ©ƒ¿ƒÈƒÃƒÂƒ¿ƒÇƒÊƒÍƒËίƒÍƒÇς ὅƒÑƒÇ ƒÑῇƒÂƒÃ
    ƒÈƒÃίƒÊƒÃƒÆƒ¿, ƒÑƒÍῖς ƒÈƒÃίƒËƒÖƒË ῥήƒÊƒ¿ƒÐƒÇ ƒÎƒÃƒÇƒÆόƒÊƒÃƒËƒÍƒÇ.

it is because Japanese history is the View from Yamato power.
    emishi did not have letters,either.
    There was no grudge because there is no character

that was why in process of assimilation was easy

Œ‹àŽ– (what a tasty dog) A ke bono kane kotto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensuikan San View Post

My son has recently become engaged to a young lady who has very strong Northwestern Aboriginal roots (We like to keep adding to the gene pool...!). A few months ago I showed her a few photographs of Ainu and asked her as to which Nation she thought they were from, and where the photographs might have been taken.

After guessing various Haida and Tlingit people, "somewhere on Vancouver Island" etc. etc. - she was quite amazed when I told her they were inhabitants of Hokkaido! She's still scratching her head.
    There is one way to know. Comparing the haplogroups (PDF world map here). This is how geneticists know about ancestral origins. The Y-DNA haplogroup trace the paternal line and the mtDNA haplogroup the maternal line.

The Ainu belong to Y-DNA haplogroup D, which is not found in the Americas. Their closest relatives appear to be the Tibetans. Native Americans belong mainly to Y-DNA haplogroup Q. Some belong to haplogroup C, also found in Japan, but not among the Ainu.

The Ainu mtDNA lineages mainly consist of haplogroup Y (21.6%) and haplogroup M7a (15.7%). Neither is found in the Americas, but rather in China or Siberia. Native American mtDNA haplogroups are A, B, C, D, G and X. All are found in Japan and China, except D (Siberian) and X (European and Siberian).

From this data, I can say that the Ainu are not related to Native Americans. On the other hand non-Ainu Japanese are genetically close to the Native Americans on their maternal line, and share some limited connections on their paternal line.

What is interesting is that mtDNA haplogroup M is absent from America, but present in all East Asia, Ainu included, and it is most common in India. So East Asian have an Indian genetic component lacking in Native Americans.
    I like ”ülƒlƒX

Quote Originally Posted by A ke bono kane kotto View Post
    There is one way to know. Comparing the haplogroups (PDF world map here). This is how geneticists know about ancestral origins. The Y-DNA haplogroup trace the paternal line and the mtDNA haplogroup the maternal line.

The Ainu belong to Y-DNA haplogroup D, which is not found in the Americas. Their closest relatives appear to be the Tibetans. Native Americans belong mainly to Y-DNA haplogroup Q. Some belong to haplogroup C, also found in Japan, but not among the Ainu.

The Ainu mtDNA lineages mainly consist of haplogroup Y (21.6%) and haplogroup M7a (15.7%). Neither is found in the Americas, but rather in China or Siberia. Native American mtDNA haplogroups are A, B, C, D, G and X. All are found in Japan and China, except D (Siberian) and X (European and Siberian).

From this data, I can say that the Ainu are not related to Native Americans. On the other hand non-Ainu Japanese are genetically close to the Native Americans on their maternal line, and share some limited connections on their paternal line.

What is interesting is that mtDNA haplogroup M is absent from America, but present in all East Asia, Ainu included, and it is most common in India. So East Asian have an Indian genetic component lacking in Native Americans.

Wow!

Obviously, this is more than a hobby with you! I am impressed, and intrigued (... although, perhaps, a little disappointed!).

Most informative, and clearly put (..even if my own knowledge of these matters is very limited). Thank you for the insight. Much appreciated.

Regards,

ƒWƒ‡ƒ“

Wow! That's awesome! Wonder what finally prompted that.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caster51 View Post

Emishi were not living in only Tohoku area,they were living in whole japan.

Not according to the map in this link ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_period

Wa-jins 倭人 ( of Northeastern Asiatic nomadic-stock ) became Yamato people later interbred with Torai-jins from the peninsula and Chinese continent.

Veni, vidi... vicodin? GodEmperorLeto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tokapi View Post
    Not according to the map in this link
    Well, no, that's obviously during the Yamato period. But considering they are descended from the Jomon cultures, then, well, I imagine most of the four islands were occupied by them at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by caster51
    it is because Japanese history is the View from Yamato power.
    Haha! A historiographical statement! And true, indeed. It appears the Yamato had a sort of "manifest destiny" concept, although that may have been anachronistically attributed to them by later historians/chroniclers.

Quote Originally Posted by tokapi View Post
    Not according to the map in this link ...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_period
    Wa-jins 倭人 ( of Northeastern Asiatic nomadic-stock ) became Yamato people later interbred with Torai-jins from the peninsula and Chinese continent.
    i dont think so .
    there are many jomon Ruins in kyusyu, shikoku...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by caster51 View Post

there are many Jomon ruins in Kyusyu & Shikoku...

Japanese DNA research indicated Jomon-jins were " mixed ethnicities ".

Northern Jomon = proto-Siberian Emishi & Ainu
    Southern Jomon = Austronesian-origin Hayato & Kumaso of Kyūshū 九州