Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: No Japanese credit cards for foreigners ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hermit Crab,
    I understood what you wrote (more receptive vs. guaranteed). I responded only to show to support the fact that it is not guarantee.

My friend is long over it, but I still think this is a good example.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenski View Post
    Hermit Crab,
    I understood what you wrote (more receptive vs. guaranteed). I responded only to show to support the fact that it is not guarantee.

I think your constant harping over one particular instance of rejection is adding to the overall impression given on this thread that it is extremely difficult to get a credit card issued to you in Japan. Several posters have given good advice to better your odds. Naturally, there will be difficulties and obstacles to many aspects of our lives, being non-Japanese. Best to accept that, deal with it, and learn what can be done to minimize them. The OP's question "No Japanese credit cards for foreigners" gets a resounding "False!" answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I think your constant harping over one particular instance of rejection is adding to the overall impression given on this thread that it is extremely difficult to get a credit card issued to you in Japan. Several posters have given good advice to better your odds. Naturally, there will be difficulties and obstacles to many aspects of our lives, being non-Japanese. Best to accept that, deal with it, and learn what can be done to minimize them. The OP's question "No Japanese credit cards for foreigners" gets a resounding "False!" answer.
    Unlike what others have posted here, I was told I could not have the card due to be foriegn by the credit card company. And without going into details, I am member of two boards in a companies that I run here. Here is the kicker, if I was to go through my company they said they would approve it straight away instead of using my name only. So it has nothing to do with working for a big company. I also own 500 tsubo's of land and a house, as in I do not have any payments left on it.

When I was said I wanted it in my name they stated that I could provide a copy of my passport and my permenat residency visa, but it would be very unlikely that the verdict would change. That is when I rang my bank manager and got him to get me the card, but not everyone can do that can they?

Pipokun,
    This happened a very short time ago. Don't try to confound the issue with "was he clean back then?" questions.
    The OP, FrustratedDave, and other posters got their cards, so their stories must be good for people in similar situations, but only you know the case of your friend here.
    So all I can do is just a guesswork or to feel sorry for him.

It is great if he come here to share his stories when he got other cards.

Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
    The OP, FrustratedDave, and other posters got their cards, so their stories must be good for people in similar situations, but only you know the case of your friend here.
    So all I can do is just a guesswork or to feel sorry for him.

It is great if he come here to share his stories when he got other cards.
    The thing is that people are not telling the whole story. People who already have cards will find getting them a lot easier. Those who don't will have a difficult time no matter what company you work for.

Smile

I'm very glad that I came across this theme.
    I'm a foreigner living in Japan, permanent residence, Japanese husband (working for one of old major companies), kids, property, no loans on my name (though we have a loan for land and house - on my husband`s name), fluent Japanese and I have some amount of money on my deposit.
    My credit card applications were rejected three times... At first, I thought ithere was some mistake. Then I started to worry if I had something written on my name that I might not know about, etc - we called the credit company and, like other people here, have got the reply that the reason for rejection will not be disclosed. Very unsettling - one starts to feel that he is a suspect or something. Well, until I read the messages on this site - now I know that I'm not alone!
    I can live without a credit card but I would like to be able to purchase music and books etc online... Does anyone know how can I get around to that without a credit card?
    PS: Sorry if that's a stupid question - I actually never bought anything except things for which one can pay in cash or via a bank transfer, so I'm a novice in that.

You have a few options. People who don't work cannot get credit cards, my J wife says.

1. See if Amazon.co.jp will let you make an order to be delivered COD and not require a credit card number. We've had such deliveries made, and you pay when the books arrive, but I don't remember if we used my Amazon account or the related credit card info.

2. You could send the money for such things via Post Office.

3. You could try to get a store card, instead of a VISA, JCB, or other major card. For example, see if Parco or AEON will let you make such a card using your husband's bank information. My wife has a couple of these, but she said you have the option to use them as credit cards or just point cards. She took the latter option.

4. You might also want to ask your husband if it's ok to use his credit card info when you place orders on Amazon. You'd probably have to use his name when you place the order, but that's between you and him to agree on.

Quote Originally Posted by Air View Post
    I'm very glad that I came across this theme.
    I'm a foreigner living in Japan, permanent residence, Japanese husband (working for one of old major companies), kids, property, no loans on my name (though we have a loan for land and house - on my husband`s name), fluent Japanese and I have some amount of money on my deposit.
    My credit card applications were rejected three times... At first, I thought ithere was some mistake. Then I started to worry if I had something written on my name that I might not know about, etc - we called the credit company and, like other people here, have got the reply that the reason for rejection will not be disclosed. Very unsettling - one starts to feel that he is a suspect or something. Well, until I read the messages on this site - now I know that I'm not alone!
    I can live without a credit card but I would like to be able to purchase music and books etc online... Does anyone know how can I get around to that without a credit card?
    PS: Sorry if that's a stupid question - I actually never bought anything except things for which one can pay in cash or via a bank transfer, so I'm a novice in that.
    Unfortunately this seems to be the case in most instances.

As for getting a card, can you apply for a family card through your husband? If so they should issue you an extra card that is in your name from your husbands account. What you can do then is apply for a card that is seperate from his and it is essential that you fill in the form and say that you hold an existing card. Then you can cancel your card under your husbands account.

I hope this helps.

Hermit Crab,

Yes, he is a good example.

owns property
    built his own house
    he has other credit cards
    But nobody knows how financially clean he was at the time of sad rejection.

I don't know how many times my friends, rich or poor, forgot putting 1 yen more before credit card companies took money out of their banking account.
    I don't know about the financial situation of my friends, 1. to 6. in my last post above, either.

personal credit information center
    http://www.fcbj.jp/english/index.html
    The center somewhere like the above does not tell him the reason, but disclose his record of transaction upon his request.