I have had experience with the fingerprint version of the card. I think this was back in ' 97. But I was only a kid and didn't care.

I don't mind them now either, but I do not think they should take the place of other forms of official id if you have them (like a Japanese drivers license. I had to show them my card to apply for a license, so having a drivers license implies a torokusho). When it comes to things like video store memberships, point cards, and all that stuff, my Japanee drivers license has been accepted.

The only people I am truly comfortable with knowing all the stuff that is on that card are government officials. I can make exceptions though. However, it is really not anyone elses business knowing what I do for a living, who employs me, how long I have been in Japan, my home address and where I was born unless I choose to tell them.

Originally posted by Golgo_13
If you're not in Japan to do anything illegal, why would it bother you?
For the same reason that other honest peoople in principle would object to someone listening to their phone calls, reading their e-mail, or going through their mail. Torokusho are no where near as invasive, but that doesn't matter to some people (I'm not "some people" just telling you what I have heard).