Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Revoking Passport

Revoking Passport

Hi, just joined and hoping to get some answers about my query.

I have a Japanese passport and I would need to revoke if I want to do anything that I plan to do (such as MEXT or JET). The annoying thing is that it runs out next summer, and I don't plan to use until then it or renew it.

Does anyone know how long it takes to revoke it, and what I need to do? I don't really want to go to London until I know what I'm doing. Plus I don't want to revoke it if I know it will take some time, which would mean I'd be too late for applying to stuff. I did email the embassy but I didn't get a reply and I don't want to try again so soon!

Any help would be great.

It shouldn't take long. It only takes a few days to get a new Japanese passport through an embassy.

I don't really understand why you need to revoke it. I suppose that you have the dual citizenship (Japan/UK ?). If you are planning to study in Japan and apply as a foreign student, you could just apply and go to Japan with your British passport without telling them that you have a Japanese one.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Well I thought about that (and would prefer it) but since what I want to do involves applying through the embassy, I would assume they could find out if I have one or not. I'm not sure if I want to take that risk...

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Yumi View Post
    Well I thought about that (and would prefer it) but since what I want to do involves applying through the embassy, I would assume they could find out if I have one or not. I'm not sure if I want to take that risk...
    Anyway if you have the dual nationality (assuming your are under 21, as after you can't) the embassy will know it. You should ask if you can apply despite having the dual citizenship.