Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: What is the most difficult in learning Japanese ?

Voters
312. You may not vote on this poll
  • the grammatical structure (subject + object + verb)

50 16.03%
  • the particules (wa, ga, wo, ni...)

98 31.41%
  • memorizing the vocabulary (too different from other languages)

79 25.32%
  • the untranslatable cultural words (irasshaimase, ojama shimasu...)

51 16.35%
  • the verbs forms (-rareru, -te, -ttara...)

84 26.92%
  • the politeness levels (keigo...)

98 31.41%
  • the writing (especially the kanji)

167 53.53%
  • understanding katakana words

33 10.58%
  • the pronuciation

18 5.77%
  • other (non listed, please specify)

23 7.37%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What's difficult in Japanese ?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Member Spirit Of Atlantis's Avatar
    I know several languages, i'll sum them up in order of difficulty.

*) Ancient Greek (<< most difficult)
    1) Latin
    %) Japanese (learning)
    3) Czech/Slovak
    4) German
    5) French
    6) Dutch
    7) English (least difficult)

* = Languages i used to know but forgot.
    % = Languages i'm learning

I want to learn Chinese, Russian, Hebrew and Arabic too and then i think it'll be sufficient.

I had Ancient Greek for 4 years in high school, and Latin for 7 years(i had to redo 1 year)
    The complexity of their grammar is just mind blowing.
    The ancient Greek and Romans loved to make ultra long sentences and speak in an analogic and enigma-ish way.
    I would be sitting for hours sometimes translating a few sentences of great philosophers or emperors.

Japanese though is much easier than Ancient Greek or Latin, but the thing that still makes it hard is the shear amount you have to learn.
    And Japanese just love to bring very different compared to western languages.(which is cool)
    In a way they're like the Romans, they also spoke very poetical.(which is cool)

Now Czech/Slovak is gramatically harder than Japanese.
    It's grammar is like a simplified form of Latin.
    What makes it easier than Japanese is that it feels more familiar to me than Japanese.
    I know that Russian for example is like Czeck/Slovak, but it has the fancy alphabet(Azbuka) too.
    So learning Russian for me would be easier than Japanese.

German...well they have their fancy own sort of grammar too, it's a bit like Dutch, but with the Die, Der, Das, Dem, Den etc etc.(had this for 5 years in high school)
    That makes it harder than French, which only has Le and La.(French sounds sexy, had it for 4 years in high school)

Dutch is easier for me because i live here, though it's not a very pretty language, but hey i can talk to Dutch, Belgians and even understand South Africans with it.

And English is the easiest of them all.
    It has only "the" and "a(n)" and a quite simple set of grammatical rules, which makes it one of the most "user friendly" languages in the world i think imho.

And about learning Chinese and Hebrew, well Chinese is imho a must, More people in the world speak Chinese than English, so English is not the nr1 language, but it is internationally wide spread which makes it very useful.
    While Chinese isn't that internationally spread(although Chinese people live everywhere hehe) it is the most widely spoken language in the world.
    Ignoring it is in my opinion arrogant.

And last but not least, why do i want to learn Hebrew, well i have several personal reasons.
    But one reason is that it's a graphically cool looking language and it has a great history and culture.

I like languages that are and look different graphically aswell as phonetically.
    Well there you have it.

Oh ya and i'm kind of interested in Navajo too, which is a Native American language, but it's not like any language in the world, not even like other native american or indian languages.
    Which was one of the reasons it was used as a code by the Allied Forces in World War II.
    It is/was considered uncrackable or undecipherable.
    Though the Russians cracked it anyway.
    Cool huh?!
    Last edited by Spirit Of Atlantis; Jul 28, 2003 at 10:45.