Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: Strange Japanese beliefs & urban myths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by basuotoko View Post
    First of all, I think the whole belief is that the cat will see itself reflected in the bottle and run away. Wouldn't a mirror work better?
    No, because a mirror is flat - but a mirror ball would work very well ;)
    Its not the reflection of the cat, but the reflection/refraction of light that does it. You are supposed to half fill a bottle, and lie it down so it can move about a bit, but not having gardens, and having half full bottles would be dangerous, the idea still appears to work.

Also, what's so bad about stray cats anyway?
    You are aware that cats carry various parasites and diseases that can have negative effects on humans, as well as on pet cats. I wouldn't get near a stray cat if I were you, and I always thing people are stupid to pet them.

Also, one of my friends told me not to sleep with my head pointed north because it might kill me. (A lot of small things cause death, it seems.)
    No no no, you should have your head pointing north - ie. your bed lined up so the pillow is at the northern end. Its very important
    Leon - http://www.leonjp.com
    Expat Japan! - http://forums.expatjapan.net
    ”¼‚΂͎©ŒÈ‚ÌK‚¹‚ðA”¼‚΂͑¼l‚ÌK‚¹‚ð

My bed is faced north (pillow) and I have my fan on but it doesn't seem to work for me. I slept alright last night once I fell asleep but it's falling asleep that's the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok85 View Post
    No, because a mirror is flat - but a mirror ball would work very well ;)
    Its not the reflection of the cat, but the reflection/refraction of light that does it. You are supposed to half fill a bottle, and lie it down so it can move about a bit, but not having gardens, and having half full bottles would be dangerous, the idea still appears to work.
    You are aware that cats carry various parasites and diseases that can have negative effects on humans, as well as on pet cats. I wouldn't get near a stray cat if I were you, and I always thing people are stupid to pet them.
    No no no, you should have your head pointing north - ie. your bed lined up so the pillow is at the northern end. Its very important

Unhappy

that finger nails thing

it's in USA , Japan But don't ask me how my mother do belive it too !

( Cutting you nails at night will make your life shorter )

as for the fan thing ... I don't know ... I use a A\C all the time

without it I will die becuse the temperture some time reachs 50 !!

You are not suppossed to sleep with your head pointing north b/c that is the postion they lay people when they die and it is not that you will die if you do it, but it is suppossed to be bad luck.

The fan and the window one are related and it is b/c if you cool your waist region it can give you the runs. So no it won't kill you. Also drinking cold drinks are thought of in the same fashion, as it will give you the runs too. Or so goes the superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    You are not suppossed to sleep with your head pointing north b/c that is the postion they lay people when they die and it is not that you will die if you do it, but it is suppossed to be bad luck.
    The fan and the window one are related and it is b/c if you cool your waist region it can give you the runs. So no it won't kill you. Also drinking cold drinks are thought of in the same fashion, as it will give you the runs too. Or so goes the superstition.
    Interesting... but you do know that diarrhea can kill? It is actually one of the leading causes of death of children in developing countries. But anyway, my girlfriend is very adamant about keeping the fan off at night. She's told me before that it will make me very sick (possibly leading to death). She takes these things really seriously. So maybe the story varies a bit depending on the person.

how about Kotodama?

you should not say that the cake will be cut(kiru) when a couple cut the cake at their wedding.....

you should not say speaking(話す、hanasu) when you request someone a speech at wedding

Quote Originally Posted by basuotoko View Post
    Interesting... but you do know that diarrhea can kill? It is actually one of the leading causes of death of children in developing countries. But anyway, my girlfriend is very adamant about keeping the fan off at night. She's told me before that it will make me very sick (possibly leading to death). She takes these things really seriously. So maybe the story varies a bit depending on the person.
    When was the last time Japan was called a developing country?
    And yes peoples oppinions will vary, but the general consensus on this one is that you may get the runs or catch a cold, but not die. BTW, what does you girlfriend do in the middle of a Japanese summer? Does she lock all the windows, turns off the fan and does not use the air conditioner? Must be like sleeping in a sauna.

Quote Originally Posted by FrustratedDave View Post
    When was the last time Japan was called a developing country?
    And yes peoples oppinions will vary, but the general consensus on this one is that you may get the runs or catch a cold, but not die. BTW, what does you girlfriend do in the middle of a Japanese summer? Does she lock all the windows, turns off the fan and does not use the air conditioner? Must be like sleeping in a sauna.
    I don't know... when I see guys pissing on the street downtown I sometimes forget that I'm not in a backwoods village of some third world country. Anyway, I'm just saying that it can kill, but that's really beyond the point.

Yes, the summer is tough with my girlfriend. It basically becomes a battle of will between the two of us. I crack the window and turn on the fan, and she'll at some point close it and turn it off. But everyone has their weird hangups. I studied at a university in Japan with a German guy who insisted that we never ever turn the air conditioner on in the classroom because it's "bad for your health." Are these people just gluttons for punishment or is it something in the water here?