Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: Do you believe in astrology ?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I strongly believe in it

0 0%
  • I somewhat believe in it, to some extent

16 29.09%
  • I do not really believe in it, but I do read my horoscope from time to time

11 20.00%
  • Astrology is a pack of lies !

28 50.91%

Thread: Do you believe in astrology ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    To support my claim. I copy and paste from Wikipedia.

The argument for sun sign astrology holds that everyone and everything is subject to general forces. For example, a person may plan to walk to the shop the following day, but when they see the weather (which affects everyone) they may change their mind and drive there instead. In this example, a general influence has overcome a personal one. Sun sign astrology says that such generally-applicable factors are also found astrologically.

Sun signs are held to represent certain sub-sections of the population. Research by insurance companies within their own massive databases is reported to have revealed differences between the relative safety on the roads of people born at different times of year[citation needed]. The Sunday Times, September 14, 1997 mentions this research and also the remarkable results of a marketing company analysing shopping habits by zodiac sign.

The Swiss mathematician and astrologer Gunter Sachs did some extensive research on massive samples (using nearly a million data sets) and demonstrated striking differences between people of different zodiac signs. These results were reported in newspapers all over the world, for example the Daily Mail, November 6, 1997

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_sign_astrology

@Centrajapan: Thanks for backing up your claim

Two comments:

The first study mentioned in the wiki article says 'citation needed'. That should always ring alarm bells as to the reliability of the source.

The second study says "reported in newspapers all over the world, for example the Daily Mail". I would expect a proper scientific study to be "reported in journals all over the world, for example Nature".
    "A man can live and be healthy without killing animals for food; therefore, if he eats meat, he participates in taking animal life
    merely for the sake of his appetite. And to act so is immoral." - Leo Tolstoy

Currently playing: Agarest on PS3
    Currently reading: The Devil Rides Out by Dennis Wheatley

Quote Originally Posted by centrajapan View Post
    To support my claim. I copy and paste from Wikipedia.
    The argument for sun sign astrology holds that everyone and everything is subject to general forces. For example, a person may plan to walk to the shop the following day, but when they see the weather (which affects everyone) they may change their mind and drive there instead. In this example, a general influence has overcome a personal one. Sun sign astrology says that such generally-applicable factors are also found astrologically.
    That is the weather, not astrology that affects your decission whether to go out or not. A horoscope doen't say "don't go out today, as you might get wet" The weather and your decission to go out is directly affected by your self and whether you wish to get wet or not.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
    Remember the Siruis Cybernetic Corportations motto: Share and Enjoy