Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

View Poll Results: How do you feel when a Japanese calls you "gaijin" ?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • "You are an outsider and will never belong to Japanese society" (exclusion)

17 29.31%
  • "You are an outsider, ignorant of Japanese ways" (cultural ignorance)

17 29.31%
  • "You are different from us ! Hahaha !" (childish differentiation)

12 20.69%
  • "You are not Japanese, but I am" (opposition)

13 22.41%
  • "You are not a Japanese national" (on the passport)

11 18.97%
  • "You are not an ethnic Japanese" (different looks)

13 22.41%
  • "Wow ! You are better than me !" (awe)

8 13.79%
  • Don't know

10 17.24%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What connotation does the term "gaijin" have for you ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    It doesn't make much difference because it is just an "esthetic" change, and I care much more about the "form", just the mindset behind the word. The Japanese could even say something like "their great and honourable majesty the Gaijins", or otherwise embellish it in flattering language, their mind still works in a despicable "black-and-white" manner (emphasis added by leonmarino) (the Japanese vs the others). It bothers me because it is a primitive way of thinking; not because the term "gaijin" itself is offensive, but because it is the only word they know to describe someone who is not like them.
    But.. Who's generalizing who? I mean not all Japanese are like that. Sure, it is true that most of them are, and don't get me wrong, three weeks in Japan last August was enough discrimination for me for a while, but I think that there are also people whose mindset is changing, and as Japan is (hopefully) internationalizing further this culture of us vs. them will decrease.
    It will never disappear though, of that I am sure. But let us not be hypocrites. We are all human beings and subject to the same psychological processes. There is this thing called the in-group bias which basically makes us discriminate and perceive ourselves, or the group we beliong to, better than others. In the case of multi-ethnic groups or people like some European countries and the US, this black-and-white behavior seems to be less significant. However, you do consider your group ("the open-minded people" or "the non-black-and-white-thinking people") better than "the Japanese".
    The people of a land in isolation.. Can they help it that they think it this black-and-white manner? Education is important in this point, because if you've always been told (or at least never have been told the opposite) that foreigners are different than "us islanders", how can you know what is true?
    It is very easy to say "ow, them Japanese are racist" or whatever, but Japan is very young with respect to its international role (140 years since the Meiji Restoration), and it will take some time until "us" and "them" are on the same level. All of us on this forum will probably never see that day.
    Let us not "despise" Japanese people for their (in our eyes) crooked views. All we can do is communicate, teach, learn and motivate; despising them and considering them "different" is no better than any other racist view.
    Last edited by leonmarino; Sep 30, 2006 at 16:04. Reason: adding emphasis didn't work first time

Non-Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leonmarino View Post
    Let us not "despise" Japanese people for their (in our eyes) crooked views. All we can do is communicate, teach, learn and motivate; despising them and considering them "different" is no better than any other racist view.
    Who do you mean by "us" and "our"? (BTW, good to see you posting again, leonmarino!)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikawa Ossan View Post
    Who do you mean by "us" and "our"? (BTW, good to see you posting again, leonmarino!)
    "Us" and "our" are.. Anyone who feels being addressed by this post really.

And yeah, this is my first post on a subject other than food, English/Japanese and chit-chat in a long while!!

us vs. them
    I guess the vs. in the above is what Prof. Yoro calls "Baka no Kabe".
    The book is interesting to read. The wall is not only among Japanese, but so far I am happy to live here, for the word, "hate crime", is not common here, no matter how many times I hear Japan is such a racist country or whatever.

Non-Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
    The book is interesting to read. The wall is not only among Japanese, but so far I am happy to live here, for the word, "hate crime", is not common here, no matter how many times I hear Japan is such a racist country or whatever.
    Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by pipokun View Post
    I suppose that once you repeat something enough times to someone there is a point when they will finally understand what you mean, so I do not dispair. I will repeat it one more time for you : racism is not just about violence. It's a state of mind.

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by leonmarino View Post
    But.. Who's generalizing who? I mean not all Japanese are like that.
    I never said that either. When I do not say "all" it means "most", by default.
    It will never disappear though, of that I am sure.
    If only it could be limited to a small minority of people, I would already be very happy.

But let us not be hypocrites. We are all human beings and subject to the same psychological processes.
    I won't debate this in detail, but each brain works in its own fairly unique way. We can also categorise brain types according to their acidity/alcalinity, sensitivity to each kind of neurotransmitter (serotonin, adrenaline, etc.), and in many other ways. But what matters most in this case (differentiating between "foreigners") is certainly just a matter of education.

In the case of multi-ethnic groups or people like some European countries and the US, this black-and-white behavior seems to be less significant.
    I am not sure about that. I felt that people from some less multi-ethnic European countries differentiated people even more accurately than many Americans, because some differentiation may be politically incorrect in the US.

However, you do consider your group ("the open-minded people" or "the non-black-and-white-thinking people") better than "the Japanese".
    The people of a land in isolation.
    I what way is Japan more a " land in isolation" than Scandinavian countries, which have never been invaded or occupied by non-Scandinavians, and are more genetically homogenous than the Japanese (keep in mind that the Japanese are hybrid Korean-Ainu) ? No, it is a matter of education, not isolation or ethnic homogeneity.

It is very easy to say "ow, them Japanese are racist" or whatever, but Japan is very young with respect to its international role (140 years since the Meiji Restoration)
    Really ? Are you aware that Japan continued to trade with Korea, China and the Netherlands during the 250 years or so of seclusion ? What is more, Japan was not closed to the world before the Edo period, and even imported most of its culture from China. No, Japan does not lack international experience more than, again, Scandinavia, or Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post

Are you aware that Japan continued to trade with Korea,China and the Netherlands during the 250 years or so of seclusion.No,Japan does not lack international experience.

Japan had full exposure to Western modern culture and people between 1840's-1940's.Any Japanese TV doramas with story background for this time period often reflect adaptation of Western cultural aspects was welcomed by native population in many facets of Japanese society.I've seen B & W photos and old newsreel footage clips of European-imitation-looking high ranking Japanese military officers and Japanese noblemen sported " whisker " appeared before cheerful Japanese crowd.Yeah,those big bearded European-imitation-looking Japanese men rode in imported-European-stagecoach acted like silly puppeteer FAKE-Western old dudes.

Funny argument,Japanese aren't comfortable with " the people " they've imitated and emulated for 150 years.
    Last edited by ricecake; Sep 30, 2006 at 13:31.