Quote Originally Posted by gaijinalways
Mike Cash posted
Thanks Mike, that was much clearer. would like to add though that I said my wife also, who is Japanese, wants to leave as well.
I noticed that. It is irrelevant to my point, though. That you want to leave is not.

I think you are misreading the meaning of 'permanent residence'.
I am not misreading it in the slightest. I am a permanent resident. I reside here permanently. You and Maciamo are/were "permanent" residents. One of you has left and the other wishes to leave. The both of you have permanent resident visas, but you are not permanent residents. Perhaps in the sense that a permanent wave is "permanent", but that's about it.

It implies that we often have a slightly more invested interest in what goes on in the country, because of family, length of stay,etc.
While either not actually residing in Japan, or planning to not reside here permanently.....

As to paying taxes etc, it was obvious that Maciamo and I brought this up in response to your tourist comment, remember?
I recall you bringing it up. Did Maciamo mention it as well? The fact that he basically let some little kids saying "gaijin da!" run him out of the country after a very brief stay sort of takes the wind out of the sails of anything he may have to say regarding permanent residency and one has to wonder why he still wears (or ever wore) that visa as some sort of badge of honor.

As to how long you've been here, are you looking for some recognition
Not at all. I only mention it to point out that a permanent resident visa does not a permanent resident make.

or have you just forgotten what life is like anywhere else ?
I've spent almost my entire adult life here, and the America of my childhood is gone forever, so one could perhaps make a strong case that I have forgotten what life is like anywhere else.