Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: If You Live In China........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by godppgo
    I think most of it has to do with the nationalistic crap the CCP has stuffed in their brain at an early age.
    And it's a real pity. Propaganda fed from birth through State media and State education.

I too have noticed this trend - and in real life - with quite a lot of Chinese people from China, especially those who haven't a clue about current affairs from a view different from those given (or forced) by the CCP. It takes me forever to tell them what I'm getting at because I have to debunk so much of the propaganda in their heads at the outset. From what I keep hearing, it would seem that the CCP have brainwashed the majority into thinking that China cannot live with its existence and that it serves as China's 'mother'.

However, there are a minority who are educated enough to know that they're living in a suppressed and authoritarian country, or if some of their family members used to serve the KMT, have relatives in Hong Kong or Taiwan, or survived through the Cultural Revolution.

Still, it would be unjustified to impose the improper label of 'Chinese nationals' simply because of a number of individuals.

tsuyaku o tsukete kudasai nurizeko's Avatar
    Actually when i say Chinese nationals it means just that, a national of china, a citizen born and bred in china.
    It works for British nationals, French nationals Russian nationals, nationals is a legitimate word which is used without issue by customs and immigration authorities all the world over.
    I am a british national, i was born live work and plan on dying in britain, i have a british passport, british citizenship, hence i am a british national.
    That is all it means, it doesnt have any link to nationalism, im sorry for the misunderstand, but, your understanding of the word was flawed.
    Now if i said i was a british nationalist, THEN it would carry the negetive meaning you were thinking of.

Edit: And i agree, many chinese posters here do seem to have an almost propaganda agent type of opinion in regard to their government, on several occassions ivd been convinced they are working for the chinese government, but then, i probably under-estimated how well the chinese propaganda works on the public in general.

Quote Originally Posted by nurizeko
    nationals is a legitimate word which is used without issue by customs and immigration authorities all the world over.
    I didn't say 'national' was an illegitimate word. Note also the context you quote in addition to those I quoted where the word is used.

It wouldn't be appropriate to use it in a community forum as, like I said, it emphasizes nationality and allegiance of individuals. This has nothing to do with nationalists as you brought up - which are supporters of an ideology.

For instance, saying 'British' is enough to denote that someone is from Britain or has that nationality. Saying 'British national' would be putting emphasis on nationality, but is necessary in situations where you're dealing with world affairs and immigration when different nationals are at issue.