Wa-pedia Home > Japan Forum & Europe Forum

Thread: English-friendly Japan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo
    Is it much easier to understand these things in French or German ? .
    Yes!

Most people under 40 can speak at least some English. Often they can read it or write it much better than they can speak it or hear it.
    Fine, but in relation to the topic - how English-friendly is Japan - the majority of interaction most people need is verbal!

If you've only been one month in Japan, you will see that very often Japanese people are just very shy and lack confidence to speak English, but once you get to know them and they are a bit more used to speak English (even just once a week), they will open up and speak it.
    I read that before I came to Japan, but it really not applicable to how English-friendly this is again.

If I want to buy a bed, some shabu shabu, a hair cut, a mobile phone or rent an apartment I don't want to have to get to know the sales person, barber, waitress or realtor before they're confident enough to talk!

If most people who can speak English choose to refuse or are reluctant to - then it isn't very "English-friendly".

Quote Originally Posted by Gaijin 06
    Fine, but in relation to the topic - how English-friendly is Japan - the majority of interaction most people need is verbal!
    Er not really. The title of the thread is not "How well do the Japanese speak English". It is English-friendly Japan, and Japan is the country more than the people. It means that the facilities, signs, information available to residents and tourists, etc. are made to accommodate English speakers. How well the locals speak is only relevant for institutions/companies that deal with foreigners (at least that was what I meant since the beginning of the thread).

Visit Japan for free with Wa-pedia
    See what's new on the forum ?
    Eupedia : Europe Guide & Genetics
    Maciamo & Eupedia on Twitter

"What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.